Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Devices at once?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cctaylor88

cctaylor88

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

Grapics card: GTX 460
Motherboard:ASUS M4A87

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I don't see why that would not work. All an HDMI splitter does is turn one signal into two or more. You can put any HDMI devices on the split side but they will of course show the same video. You should ensure that the splitter supports the video and audio (if any) you intend to send. Make sure you get a splitter (1 input, 2 or more outputs) not a switch (multiple inputs, 1 output). Your GPU only cares that it is sending 2 signals.

#3 cctaylor88

cctaylor88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I don't see why that would not work. All an HDMI splitter does is turn one signal into two or more. You can put any HDMI devices on the split side but they will of course show the same video. You should ensure that the splitter supports the video and audio (if any) you intend to send. Make sure you get a splitter (1 input, 2 or more outputs) not a switch (multiple inputs, 1 output). Your GPU only cares that it is sending 2 signals.

Thats what I thought but some people think that since my primary monitor and my TV arent the same resolution it won't work?

How simple would it be to buy a video card specifically to plug my TV into...nothing fancy just the bare minimum to support its HD?

Also..the only thing holding me back is the fact that when I right click on my NVIDIA contrl panel in order to change from "dualview" to "clone" it only gives combinations of 2 devices (Monitor 1 + Monitor 2, Monitor 1 + TV etc)...so when I split the signal how then would it know to have the TV and Monitor 1 on same signal/clone and have Monitor 2 as an independent?

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I don't think you mentioned the resolution issue before. The results may depend on the TV's capabilities. You may have to compromise between the TV and monitor. Check the manuals for what they can do. You could also use the TV or monitor's VGA input with an hdmi/vga converter but that is a pig's ear solution.

Re the two devices on one leg, your GPU couldn't care less as long as it is only driving one device on that leg. If you put a splitter in, that is the one device. The splitter (which comes with a power supply) supplies the power to drive 2 or more devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users