Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange dual boot problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop that came with Windows 7 and I have dual booted it with the 90 day Evaluation copy of Windows 8. If I boot into Windows 8 everything starts up fine, but then when I try to restart and go into Windows 7 (or even if I shut down completely and then try to go into Windows 7) Checkdisk kicks in saying it's found inconsistencies and needs to check all disks. It never reports any problems, but does this anyway. I'm going to be replacing this eval. copy with a full paid for copy of Windows 8 in the near future (I'm a Windows 7 and 'soon-to-be' Windows 8 instructor for a large computer club.); but, I'd like to find out if this is going to be an ongoing problem. If I'm working in Windows 7, shut down and restart into Windows 7 - no checkdisk comes up. It's only when I make the switch from 8 to 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'd say that your boot files have some file problems...I'd run the chkdsk /r command in each OS.

If problem continues, I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'd say that your boot files have some file problems...I'd run the chkdsk /r command in each OS.

If problem continues, I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

Thanks but I found the answer later yesterday. It's the fast startup feature in Windows 8 that is causing the problem. Once I disabled it, no more checkdisk start ups when I boot into Windows 7. (Funny how you can search and search for an answer; then, after you ask for help - you find it yourself!!!).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Nice work, thanks for letting us know that the issue is resolved.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users