Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mirroring + Dual Monitors = Possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cctaylor88

cctaylor88

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

Grapics card: GTX 460
Motherboard:ASUS M4A87

Edited by cctaylor88, 02 November 2012 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I think it actually should work the way you want it to because the GPU is only seeing the 2 connections. It should see the splitter as a single connection.

My only question to you would be why would you want a setup like that? It makes no sense to me at all, but I'm just a poor guy that gets by on a single monitor.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 cctaylor88

cctaylor88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think it actually should work the way you want it to because the GPU is only seeing the 2 connections. It should see the splitter as a single connection.

My only question to you would be why would you want a setup like that? It makes no sense to me at all, but I'm just a poor guy that gets by on a single monitor.

Why doesn't it make sense? Have you ever had 2 independent monitors (dual?) You get 2 taskbars...you can watch videos on one and surf on the other. When I do homework I type in MS Word on one screen and research on the other...very productive.

And now I have a giant media center with a ton of HD movies/shows/ppv's etc so I want my TV in on it. Currently I am just going from DualMonitors to clone (so I can watch movies on the big screen)....it doesnt make sense? Its me being lazy, being convenient!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users