Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abit Kv8 Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 onlynev

onlynev

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

This is my first post to this board. Over the years I've built about 5 systems this is the first I've had any problem with.
I've just got an KV8pro, with an Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4G, ATI 9600 xt 128m video card, one 1G stick Kingston 400 non nec and a Gigabyte 3D cooler on the CPU. 1 DVD RW, 1 seagate and 1 quamtum ata drives.These drives work fine in my old sys which is a KT7A.
I'm using my old case with 350 pwr sup. When I pwr up cooler fan comes on the guru starts its readout, I get gives 1 long beep and 3 short than it shuts down after about 5 sec or so. The Guru reads 9.f. and I can't even get to the CMOS.
There are no other cards other than the 9600 video and the one gig ram. I've cleared the CMOS and reset the RAM several times.
TIA onlynev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

From a search I did on line, it may be that your RAM has failed, or needs to be reseated (With an AMI BIOS). But if its an IBM BIOS, it is your graphics card. Does your motherboard have on-board graphics? If so, try the POST without the graphics card.
I guess try those in that order (RAM then Graphics), if it still doesn't work, then I don't have a shmick! Hope that helps.....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 knellski

knellski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

Well if it starts a "readout" and you get something on the screen then i would go more on the memory idea then the video, or at least at first. If as soon as you start it you can get something that is english on the screen , bed video wouldn't be my first guess. Try disconnecting any pci cards and or cd rom drives as well. Good luck

#4 onlynev

onlynev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for your help, folks. I'm thinking video card also. I bought it awhile back not knowing that the KTA7 I was running, at the time didn't support it. Looking at the card there is a four pin connector labeled J8 in the center of the top of the card, that might be for an external pwr input. Don't know.
I'm headed to the used parts store to get a vid card and see what happens. I'm in the middle of a project with only one case, need to get it done first before I pull out the old mb and put in the new one.

Again thanks
onlynev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users