Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner vs batch cleaning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

After re-format with several errors on my old partition with ntdll and so on i decided to never more install a registry cleaner like ccleaner or anything else. I wanna use batch instead and wonders if anyone sees any problems that might occur when running this code

@echo Off
@Title Ghost Nt Cleaning System File
@
@cd\    
@
Echo. Cleaning Prefetch Files
@cd %windir%\prefetch
@del /s /q *.* |echo. >nul
@cd\
Echo. Cleaning Temprory Files
@cd %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
@del /f /s /q  /a s *.* |echo. >nul
@cd..
@rd /s /q Temp |echo. >nul
@rd /s /q History |echo. >nul
@@MD Temp
@cd\
@del /s /q *.tmp
@
@cd %USERPROFILE%\Recent
@del /s /q *.* |echo. >nul
Echo. Please Wait More For Last Cleanup
@del /s /q *.chk |echo. >nul
@
Echo. Cleanup Sucessfull

Any more tips please add them in a comment together with a explanation :clapping: :clapping:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Why not just use installed Windows programs first and leave all Registry cleaning off the table ??

Start with System Tools > Disk Cleanup > > Defragmenter > Then Internet Explorer > Tools > Delete Browsing History > ETC -

Run chkdsk /r once a week (or 2) or even TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

That is all your batch file seems to do ?? Not that I am against running a .bat file but ......

The only thing I fail to see is a Reboot after function in your code -

I even use this code for running disk check -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

EDIT for Spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 01 November 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

You don't have to use CCleaner's registry cleaner if you don't like it :)

The main feature "Cleaner" does not tamper with the Windows registry but removes the types of files you are wanting to remove just like your batch file (and more!)

Be sure to add the %temp% directory to your batch file.

REM %temp% on VISTA/7 = C:\Users\Owner\Appdata\Local\Temp
REM %temp% on XP = C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local settings\Temp
REM Owner is just an example username.

del /a/f/q %temp%\* 2>nul >nul

Edited by thisisu, 01 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

A few things I like in CCleaner that your script does not do:
1. Starts Add/Remove Programs in about 1/20 the time Windows applet does it
2. Ability to remove crap from selected apps
3. Excellent cookie cutter
4. Secure deletion and wipe MFT free space if desired
5. As Thisisu pointed out, you don't have to use the registry cleaner but it cleans very little anyway and you can select what you want to scan for
5. Runs in Auto from Command Line or Shortcut

I write my own macros too but where there is a better app available, programming an equivalent is purely for fun.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

IMO...one of the negatives for anyone using Ccleaner...is the fact that it eliminates all dump files. Dump files can be quite useful when attempting to troubleshoot BSODs, a common member complaint. Without the files, the member has less evidence concerning what the problem may be, where it was recognized by Windows, etc.

When I combine that with the fact that Ccleaner does nothing that cannot be done within Windows, using Windows features...I just don't know why so many seem to think it's a wonderful tool.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

IMO ccleaner (and other such utilities) do absolutely NOTHING that needs to be done (and/or that you can't do yourself). As far as deleting files from the temp folder, I do that manually a couple of times a week. How hard is it to open Explorer, navigate to the temp folder, and delete contents? I can't think of anything ccleander does that serves any needful purpose whatsoever. And it certainly does nothing to effect system performance.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

The only thing I use CCleaner for is to automatically clean temp files etc. each time I boot. I am concerned that I would forget about that if I had to do it manually. CCleaner is the only app that does this automatically and I would ditch it if there was an alternative. But there isn't.

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

IMO...one of the negatives for anyone using Ccleaner...is the fact that it eliminates all dump files. Dump files can be quite useful when attempting to troubleshoot BSODs, a common member complaint.

Apparently the tiny number of people that troubleshoot BSODs every day have not figured out to uncheck "Memory Dumps".

I run CCleaner at least 5 times a day. Just clearing out the unwanted cookies/cache from 3 browsers with a single keystroke is worth it (plus all the other things). I think in Chrome it's four keystrokes and loading a new tab to clear the cache and cookies.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

<<Apparently the tiny number of people that troubleshoot BSODs...>>

I think that you are confused...it's not the persons who develop BSODs...who are doing the troubleshooting :). If most users could troubleshoot their own...that would be a great thing.

But the same mentality that says "I don't have time to empty my files" also says "Why am I getting this annoying message about dump files? I think I'll get rid of those."

Hence, the prevalence of free computer help topics which involve BSODS...with the user/member unable to provide any supporting history of what happened, when, and why.

Louis

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

But the same mentality that says "I don't have time to empty my files" also says "Why am I getting this annoying message about dump files? I think I'll get rid of those."

Perhaps those people should also read the instructions or get advice. CCleaner's Help is quite specific regarding Memory Dumps and their usefulness to technical people. I don't delete dumps myself. If you have a BSOD, I would have thought it most unlikely that CCleaner had been run since or around the time the BSOD occurred. Another point is that you mostly get complaints in forums. They form a miniscule portion of the operating experience of most people who don't have issues and therefore a lopsided view. Tough luck for the few.

I've no idea where messages about dump files would come from. The "Analyze" list? I run CCleaner in Auto and all I see is the chomping icon in the system tray which does its thing in the background and disappears.

My comments may seem irrelevant to the original post, but I see the intent as being flawed. CCleaner v Batch Cleaning. CCleaner is a compendium of batch files. Whichever ones you select, it will run those, and those only. Pajajn is smart enough to come up with a batch file for his purposes. I'm sure he could figure out in CCleaner that to duplicate his batch file you only check Temporary Files, Old Prefetch Data, Recent Documents, Temporary Internet Files, and nothing else. In Settings/Advanced select time span for Windows Temp files delete.

Edited by Nanobyte, 02 November 2012 - 05:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users