Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting access to local admin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 EatMyBible

EatMyBible

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

So, I had to send my original schoolcomputer in for repairing. My, very rude, I might add, IT-staff at school did not include local admin for the temporary computer. I did try to ask him for local admin, as I need to change certain network-settings in order for my update my network-drivers.

When asking the IT-staff for local admin, reasoning with the fact that I cannot access the internet properly due to the drivers not being uptodate, they simply wrote me off, saying that I didn't need it. They did, however, challenge me get local admin, claiming that they wouldn't care as long as I didn't cause any harm to the computer.

I have a normal local user, connected to the schooldomain. It is still connected to the domain-name after leaving the schoolnetwork, where my username is DOMAIN\username. I am not able to access BIOS, do any changes in group policy or system32, and naturally, all the CMD-commands we did at junior high when we were twelve does not work. The BIOS is set to automatically boot from the HDD; thus any tricks involving .iso files and CD/USB-drives will not work.

How should I go about recovering, resetting or removing the local administrator password?

I am using Windows 7.

Edited by EatMyBible, 01 November 2012 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, you need to get what you want from your school, not a support site.

#3 EatMyBible

EatMyBible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Sorry, you need to get what you want from your school, not a support site.

Haha, I expected an answer like that. As he's not willing cooperate at all, and I am heavely dependant on an internet connection, I hoped you would let it slip.

If you do not want to assist me - which I understand - can you tell if this, given the circumstances, is even possible to pull off?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

You attempting to circumvent...policies put in force for the school administration for the computer systems it owns and/or is responsible for.

As has been previously stated...your local IT staff...has the responsibility for the care/administration of those systems.

Your only recourse is to go through proper channels for such computers. Attempting to circumvent their existing rules/policies is a violation of current forum rules.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

The assignment of admin rights is clearly a security measure employed by system administrators and IT personnel in every circumstance.