Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate barracuda dead

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yfz450guy

yfz450guy

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

my 160g seagate cuda drive took a dump on me outta the blue and i really would like to recover the data. it will not spin up. can buy another drive and transplant the disk into the new drive or is there another way?
thanks,
T
alienware area 51
vista 32
680i mobo
q6600
9800 gt in sli
avg internet security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

That would require expensive professional help as far as I know. If it's not aligned properly, the heads will plough the platters or not read at all. Have you checked the connections and the voltage at the drive? I would have thought the motor is the most durable part of the works. Even if you backup your data, these things tend to happen the day before.

Here is a guide to swopping platters. You could end up with 2 useless drives.

Edited by Nanobyte, 02 November 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is this a IDE or SATA hdd?

Have you tried purchasing an external enclosure and connecting to another computer to see if you can see your files? An external enclosure can be purchased for between $10 - $20.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users