Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Error ADO connection Timeout

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roberth5

roberth5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have a small network of about 30 workstation, running on SBS2011 server (w/DHCP). We run an accounting system using a separate server running SQL Express data base for the accounting system (about 10 to 12 users logged in at any one time). Recently I began getting (ADO ConnecttoCompanyTable Time Out Error) screens and the accounting system would shut down. At 1st we thought the database needed to be truncated, we did this a few times, and looked at the log file size, it was very small, not needing truncation at all.

The company that build the Accounting system said I have a network issue.

The servers are identical brand new Dells, 32GB Ram, taskmanager shows 16 processors, no real load on memory or processors.

I can see the workstations loose their connection to the database server (ping 192.168.1.5 -t) freezes only on the workstation that gets an ADO error message and it can be ANY workstation, IT IS NOT WORKSTATION SPECIFIC.

I have 2 Netgear dumb switches that are 6 months old linked together. I have shut down the network, turned on one switch, re-booted both servers (SBS2011 and Server 2008) started ONE (1) work station, connected to the accounting system and still have the ADO issue.

Any ideas what else I can do to find this problem. I am scanning all of my workstation for malware (Panda on-line scan, eset online scan, malwarebytes, superantispyware, combofix) runnning RKill 1st, I also scanned with my Symantecs Endpoint A/V system. I have an Untangle box between me an the internet that I have removed, no help. The SBS 2011 is doing DHCP.

Is this too much of a problem for this forum, and have I unknowingly posted to the wrong forum?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Okay you say two new Dell's and switches that are six months old. Did the problem start occurring before or after the server/switch installation? Sounds like for what ever reason a data base request is reaching the time out limit causing the error. Have you setup the database using the best case drive setup?? If the database and os are on the same drive it can cause IO errors.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

The SQL database is running on a newer Dell T610 server, the device manager shows 16 processor drivers, only 24GB of RAM. Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1. The Update shows 39 optional updates are available, nothing critical. Only other software running on the 2008 Server is Symantecs Endpoint.

The sole purpose of this sever is to run the SQL database, nothing else is on it. It does have 2 NIC cards, I have tried both.

It seems that the problem is mostly (maybe all) related to Win 7 machines. Sometimes I can run a ping /t and get time-outs pinging that database server. I purchased another switch and ran it solo (all other 40 plus workstations off) and still had the issue appear (ADO Timeout).

I have found a lot of issues mentioned on the internet (via google) with SMB 2.0 on MS Server 2008 and Vista machines (I have no vista machines, 2/3 XP, 1/3 win 7, one - SBS2011 & one - Server 2008 (SQL server)).

I killed the SMB 2.0 service on the 2008 server and everything fell apart. So I started it back up.

The problem initally showed up about 30 days ago, the newer Netgear Switches were put in about 8 months ago. I have powered them down a few times.

I have truncated the SQL database several times (backed it up) as I was told that might help.

I downloaded Wireshark, but I need to figure it out and how to read the info it captures.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

The vista stuff may still apply as win7 isn't really that far off of vista. With the level of users you have this should not be a problem but it is possible that the hard drives themselves are causing an issue. Are all of the databases on a single drive with the OS? If so part of the issue could be that the I/O resources are not able to keep up with the OS and the SQL database. It is the best case setup to have the databses on their own drive so as to eliminate any I/O conflicts with other programs and the OS.
Mark Twain

#5 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

This 16 processor, 24GB Ram, raided drive server has a c: drive for the OS and a 600GB D drive for the SQL database. The SQL database is the only application running on this server. The accounting system has 12 to 15 users logged in at any time. When I bring up the task manger, it shows processor usage at 0%, 4GB of memory being used, 58 processes running. For a 2008 server, that is pretty light.

The accounting system vender says the primary cause is a need to truncate the database. I do this weekly with no relief. They also stated that it may be a networking issue. I have not had any other problems with the network, however I did change out the 2 unmanaged Netgear 24 port switches, I updated the server NIC drivers and tried each of the other 3 NICs, tried different cables between the server and the switch. The D: drive has approx 8GB of used space and 542GB of unused space.

I am still getting about 5 to 10 ADO time-out errors daily.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am not super familiar with this error but from what I have seen this mostly refers to the timeout value of the database query. This is why they are telling you to truncate the database to reduce the volume and speed up the query. Same with the network they are assuming that the network maybe slowing down the query causing a timeout error. Since it seems that you have inspected and are confident that the network is sound the place to start looking is with the query response of the database. Try checking it through the server manager and then through one of the problem computers to see how it varies. There should be a way you can optimize the query on the database for the accounting software or at least increase the timeout counter to reduce or eliminate the ado timeout errors.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users