Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers Needed for Dell Inspiron 531 running Windows XP new install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 capt zero

capt zero

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 531 at a garage sale. It came with a version of Vista that was cluttered up, full of viruses and in general full of problems. I don't like Vista anyway (I generally run Kubuntu or Mint for most of my computing), and I have a generic MS Windows XP sp2 install pack laying around. After installing XP, I loaded my linux OS's as usual, with no problems. The problem is with the XP install. It appears that Dell, in it's wisdom, made the Inspiron 531 specifically for Vista and the standard drivers available on Dell's site don't function well with XP (can't connect with the Web, graphics "roll-over" with the bottom showing at the top of the screen, and generally don't work well with the onboard graphics card 'Nvidia GeForce 6150'). Does anyone know a scource for drivers that will 'work-around' this issue? I know that the order the drivers are installed is important, so I wiped the drive and made a fresh install of Windows with no changes. The system setup is: Dell Inspiron 531 with AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ running at 2.0 Ghz with 4Gbs memory. I am set up for triple boot on two HDDs running Kubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint Maya on one 260gb Hd and Windows XP Home edition Sp2 on a 40Gb Hd. I've searched this site and seen mention of a couple of users with XP running on this model, but no mention of the preferred drivers. Dell has been no help, as this is a discontinued model. Thanks for any assistance you can give me with this issue.

capt_zero

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hello and :welcome:

There seems to be drivers available for an Inspiron 531 desktop for XP HERE Just choose the operating system by hitting the down arrow.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I hope these work. The problem is, however, that there is no real documentation on what type of drivers these are. I know I need to install a chipset driver first, also I need an audio driver, a graphics driver, an ethernet driver, ect.
When setting up the menu on the link you provided, it gives me two files to download. If I click on the details of these files all it tells me is that they are recommended, it gives me no details of what they are, or what they will do. Following a similar trail, provided by Dell on their download site before, I managed to configure a system that worked just about as well, except for the graphic which were worse, as it did before I downloaded and installed Dell's recomends. The problem being, once the drivers are installed, if they don't work, I have to start all over again. The last time I tried this I had to reinstall Windows. I've downloaded the two files offered by Dell, but hope someone who has done this before chimes in. No offence intended, but Dell has messed up my system before, and basically I don't trust them. One of the files is 'r198174-1.exe', searching this file on the web, gives me the information that this is a registry scanner of some type. Not sure how this will help. A search on the other file 'Dell_EMC9_17S_patch.exe' gives me no information at all, I get directed to companies trying to sell me driver detection software. Thanks for your response, and I in know way mean to imply that I don't appreciate it, it's just that I'm not sure I trust the Dell download site.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

No offence taken, I mainly work on Dell computer here at my work place and to get the exact drivers for the Dell you are working on we can use the Service Tag or Express Service Code. That will take us right to the correct drivers for your computer. Normally if you try to install a driver from Dell that does not contain the hardware for the install it tells you its not installed. If you willing to provide the Service Tag maybe I can give you a better link.

I show more than just two downloads for this computer (granted this is for the model and not the service tag)

Expand All Categories |Collapse All Categories

Application (5)
Audio (3)
BIOS (2)
Communications (2)
CPU (1)
Diagnostics (2)
Displays (2)
Drivers for OS Deployment (4)
Input (2)
Network (2)
Removable Storage (22)
Serial ATA (8)
Video (9)

Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

Yes dell has irritated me before with their driver downloads page, and I feel your frustration, but that page that is linked is correct and can be trusted. Yes you should install the chipset drivers first then the others after. As for the graphics driver, is that the correct model/number for it? Is it an 6150 LE or SE as I see both.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Firefoxthebomb,
No I have no problems providing you with the tag numbers, only I'll do it through a pm if we need to. Perhaps you can walk me through the screen you show in your post. I went back to the link and menued a little differently than I did before and ended up with what you show. As mentioned earlier, I need the chipset driver first; which of the choices is that? The one for the CPU? I also see the bios, but I don't think I need a new bios. Also I guess it doesn't matter the order after the chipset, but I am looking for a graphics, an audio, and an ethernet driver also. If there is any I haven't mentioned don't hesitate to mention it. I very much appreciate your help.

capt-zero

#7 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

You are more than welcomed to send me the service tag via PM if you like, but I am sure that page is the correct one. I do not see one specifically for the Chipset, but we can try and work our way down the list if you like.

In device manager, how many devices do you show under Other Devices, and what do they say?

#8 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Okay,

This may be a long list, I didn't recognize your instruction for checking 'other devices' before I went to Windows to check, but when I went to device manager here is the list:
DVD/Cd rom
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controler
Keyboard
Mouse
Audio on High Definition Audio Bus
PCI Bus
Video Controler (Not sure if this is important but my Nvidia card is the stock 'Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and I use a Nec Multisync LCD 1810 Xtravision monitor)
Processors (AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+
Usb controllers

In addition there were listed about 30-40 system devices (PCI connectors, fans, ect). I hope this is what you need. I have to reboot to check Windows (until this issue is dealt with, I can't access the internet through Windows), so let me know what you need.

thanx,
capt-zero

#9 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to the exact location for your drives for your computer.

As for device Manager, this is what I meant. Do you have anything listed in Other Devices as shown in the picture below:

Attached Files

#10 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Firefoxthebomb,
Thanks for all your help. I'm posting this to you from the web on Windows XP. This will probably be the last time I do this here, as I don't trust MS and the internet. However, everything seem to be working and up to snuff. Once again, thanks for all your timely and effective assistance.

thanx,
capt-zero

#11 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

You are most welcome, glad to be of service. Should you have any further issues or comments don't hesitate to ask.

Safe Surfing....

#12 tino83

tino83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

hi there firefoxthebomb,

I have the same challenge as capt_zero.

do you think you can send me the same link?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Please...we request that members conduct forum business...attempts at assisting...within the forum, rather than via PM or email.  This protects the member seeking assistance and helps to minimize the concept of misinformation being exchanged.

The link provided above to the Dell website...is the source of any drivers for the system listed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users