Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wife's laptop revisited...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Not too long ago I posted about my wife's laptop, how she ran over it with the van.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic468226.html

The screen was cracked and the dvd drive stopped working but otherwise it still ran. Bought and installed a new screen and have been using it since without much trouble.

Today we came home and tried to turn it on and got nothing but a black screen. It didn't go through ANY of the startup process at all. Nothing. Just an empty screen. The hard drive was trying to do something but not a think appeared on the screen. No errors, setup/bios options... nothing.
We have an older laptop laying around that we got from her sister. It doesn't have a hard drive in it... I popped her hard drive into that machine and, well it tried to load windows. It ran through some of the startup process but it failed... wanted to do some sort of repair but even that didn't run... I'm guessing that the slightly older laptop wasn't prepared for that hd with windows already installed on it? When you install windows, it configures to that computer doesn't it?
At any rate, it at least could see there's a hard drive there even if it didn't boot all the way to windows.
I plugged it back into the run over laptop and still, nothing. I plugged my monitor in just to make sure but it isn't sending any sort of signal out to anything so that was pointless.
I am guessing something with the motherboard might have failed?
Any thoughts or advice on that? What should I look for? I'm frustrated since we just sank money into a new screen. I'd hate to buy even more parts but I'm just not sure what to do with it now.
I'm going to bed but I'll be checking this first thing int he morning. We have some important stuff on that hard drive I'll have to get off of there... I might be able to plug it in to something and copy the files out for now... or, if I can figure out what's wrong with this thing...
grumble grumble...... :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hello,

When you hit the power button does the power light come on? Does the laptop make any noise from a fan maybe? Try to take the battery out and just have it plugged in and then try to power it on.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

yes, the light on the front comes on, the screen has power just doesn't display anything... the fan kicks on but turns back off not long after(it only seems to run when it gets warm, I had another topic about that recently)
I had the hard drive AND battery out already so I decided to plug it in, as you asked, and see if anything happens. Same result. Light goes on, fan goes on for a bit, screen is lit but displays nothing. Definitely something on the motherboard somewhere... or, at least that's my theory. I put my ear to it since there was no hd to make noise this time. Around the area where the memory is there was some noise... kind of high pitched maybe. I didn't really want to open this up again but I guess I'll have to and have a look around.
I'm so frustrated as it's looking like I could end up buying even more parts or just giving up on it. Not at all happy about this. :(
Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Bump

Any suggestions on what to check? I've kind of ignored it for a few days, partly because I think it might be a lost cause. From what I can tell, the hard drive is fine. I will try to connect it to another computer today and see how it's running but in that other laptop, it at least tried to go through the boot process.
On this one, not a thing came up which tells me it's not the hard drive at all. All the stuff that loads before a hard drive loads wouldn't do anything.
So I THINK something is wrong with something on the motherboard... where and what, I haven't a clue... or how to even go about discovering that.
I have the case open today. Nothing is jumping out at me so far.
It's too bad Dell wouldn't send me a new case and motherboard... the screen is brand new... the hard drive is less than a year old. :/
I have an older laptop lying around with no hard drive in it that we could use... but it's older... originally had XP on it. So, I don't believe I'll be able to use the windows 7 installation that's on the hard drive. Not to mention, it kind of hurts going backwards in speed and memory.
Sooooo depressing. We were using that laptop for one of our children's homeschool work... No we've got to figure something out... and soon.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hello again,

Sorry for not replying sooner, seems your topic got lost in my list, anyway, I'm going to venture a guess and say it is probably the motherboard, or it could be a loose connection to the display, have you checked all connections? Also while you have the case open check all of the capacitors, they are usually round and black with a metal top, see if any are bulged at the top.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, it's not a connection. I checked. And, I tried booting it on its own screen as well as connected to another monitor... nothing.
I took it apart a little further just now. I'm not sure about identifying a bad capacitor on this thing. They're not at all like capacitors on a desktop... nothing round... all TINY TINY TINY little things everywhere. I looked at google images real quick and saw someone showing how to replace a laptop capacitor... but... the "bad" capacitor they were replacing looked just like every other capacitor in the picture. :/

This is just TOO frustrating. Too expensive. :( IF we had the money and if we didn't just sink money into the screen, it would be easy to just buy a new laptop. The case is a little damaged here and there so it's far from perfect... but, money... sigh.
And I'm not even entirely sure that I can be entirely certain it is the motherboard... I mean, what if I replace that and it still doesn't work? :/
eh... where is a good and trusted (and cheap) source for getting a motherboard for a laptop?
I wish I could find someone ditching their own, same model, laptop because the screen is broken or the hard drive is no good or something. That'd be nice. ha

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Update.....

On ebay, all the motherboards listed for her laptop were over $100... Found an identical laptop for aout $150 on ebay... she bid at the last moment and got it... after shipping, about $165...
So, hopefully in the next day or two we'll have a whole new(used) laptop identical to hers. I plan on putting her hard drive in it and hoping that goes well... then, I have her old screen(NEW, just replaced grrr) and memory as backup parts I guess... and the hard drive from the newly purchased one will get some form of ubuntu or something and put into a laptop her sister gave her that was missing the hard drive... So, for just barely more than a new motherboard, we got a variety of new things... including the working dvd drive that was missing in hers since she ran it over.
So... Well... If it wasn't for the fact that our kids are homeschooling with computer software, we would have waited til tax time and just bought a new one... but, this will work out fairly well... better than not having something for sure. :)

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, it's not a connection. I checked. And, I tried booting it on its own screen as well as connected to another monitor... nothing.
I took it apart a little further just now. I'm not sure about identifying a bad capacitor on this thing. They're not at all like capacitors on a desktop... nothing round... all TINY TINY TINY little things everywhere. I looked at google images real quick and saw someone showing how to replace a laptop capacitor... but... the "bad" capacitor they were replacing looked just like every other capacitor in the picture. :/

This is just TOO frustrating. Too expensive. :( IF we had the money and if we didn't just sink money into the screen, it would be easy to just buy a new laptop. The case is a little damaged here and there so it's far from perfect... but, money... sigh.
And I'm not even entirely sure that I can be entirely certain it is the motherboard... I mean, what if I replace that and it still doesn't work? :/
eh... where is a good and trusted (and cheap) source for getting a motherboard for a laptop?
I wish I could find someone ditching their own, same model, laptop because the screen is broken or the hard drive is no good or something. That'd be nice. ha

I must have missed what kind of PC you have, or maybe you never really mentioned it, but I typically buy up dead ebay laptops if I need a part. Fix one to use and have a little inventory for when other things go wrong.... might be worth looking into.... :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users