Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen absorbed blunt force trauma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hello BC HelpDesk,

My Toshiba Satellite XP laptop has a cracked monitor but still lights up when powered on with fans a blazing, and I have a regular VGA port on the side of it beside the fan exhaust, so I attempted to hook up a regular flatscreen monitor to it, and it didn't function or receive signal. Does it require the one USB port that is alongside the VGA port on the other side of the fan exhaust to be connected to a keyboard and mouse before it recognizes the external monitor? I have seen folks run a closed laptop with an external monitor and external keyboard/mouse around the office and then when they need to disconnect the external hardware to take their laptop on the road to function without the external hardware like a regular laptop it works fine for them. Is this a standard procedure or do i need to get into the system profile details?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Check the exact model so you would know if there is a function key needed to switch to external monitor. Fn + F5 or another F key is usually the manual way of switching.

Tekken

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

I don't have the exact model but it might be on a sticker somewhere attached to the unit (i do have a recovery disk for it also, but the model# isn't on the package). most laptops have symbols on the f keys, and this one looked like f5, but then i looked it up, and there are different ways of doing it, like "3 times", or "press and hold" blah blah. anyway, i tried booting it up with the external monitor attached via vga port, then pressed fn-f5 and no response. will check further and report back. thanks.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users