Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Prainey

Prainey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi, I'm not sure what is causing this, but my CPU usage is running at near 100% with simply running one tab in IE. I figured it was a problem with IE, so I tried Google Chrome and Safari, with the same problems. It seems to jump constantly at anywhere from 40-100%. It's causing my computer to essentially freeze, and has made going on the internet nearly impossible.

Any advice on how to get rid of this potenial virus would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pritch1

Pritch1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi, I'm not sure what is causing this, but my CPU usage is running at near 100% with simply running one tab in IE. I figured it was a problem with IE, so I tried Google Chrome and Safari, with the same problems. It seems to jump constantly at anywhere from 40-100%. It's causing my computer to essentially freeze, and has made going on the internet nearly impossible.

Any advice on how to get rid of this potenial virus would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, can you tell which process(es) is/are spiking and causing the cpu to run near 100%?

#3 Prainey

Prainey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

It's mainly my internet executables. It's much worse with Internet Explorer, but I have the same problems in Safari or Chrome (to a lesser extent). I am somewhat familiar with the iexplore.exe virus, and think this or something similar could be the cause?

It's just odd b/c the CPU usage is constantly jumping all over the place, but even when it appears low, things freeze up and don't run as they should. This is the case even simply with one window open open on the home page. This is what makes me think there is some hidden program running or something that is using up all the CPU.

Thanks for helping me out with this!

#4 Pritch1

Pritch1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Does the computer freeze or have high CPU usage without the internet open or only when you have a browser open?
I would like to see what process(es) are using all of the cpu when you have the internet open. This may give us a better idea of what is happening.

To do this:

1. Open up internet explorer
2. Start task manager (ctrl + alt + del and select task manager)
3. Click processes tab at the top
4. Click the button or checkbox at the bottom that says Show processes from all users
5. Click on the word CPU in the cpu usage total (this will sort the processes in the list by cpu usage)

Check which process(es) are at the top and using all the cpu. The processes in the list will be swapping around since the list is sorted by usage. Therefore you may need to watch it for a minute to determine which process(es) are constantly at the top of the list

I am not a malware response member obviously and one will hopefully be responding soon. I am just trying to determine if the problem is actually a virus or if there is something else going on.

Edited by Pritch1, 05 November 2012 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users