Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roberth5

roberth5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have a 64 bit win 7 workstation that has had a few infections (user surfs questionable sites) that I have used rkill and combofix on to clean up. The workstation will not update. It says it has 17 updates. I Googled this problem and have seen the specific "17 update" problem mentioned several times.

I have tried many repairs that have been mentioned on the internet and Microsoft's site with NO LUCK.

A)

1 ) Open RegEdit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ Windows\WindowsUpdate
2 ) Remove any and all values within this key. Most likely, the culprit is a faulty Windows Update source server. Sometimes this is the result of a latent or previous infection.
3 ) Finally, download and run Microsoft FixIt 50202. Try the Default settings first, and if that does not work, try Aggressive.
4 ) Reboot the computer and check to see that Windows Update is working properly.

B)
I also tried this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

BTW, for years I have tried using the MS Fix It, I have never seen it work even once yet. (probably just me doing something wrong)

C) searched the registry for WindowsUpdate, nothing comes up.

D) another site had 4 different bat files that stopped auto update services and cleard some other items. I can post those bat files if needed.

When I run the up-date from control panel, all looks good, 17 up-dates down load and run, however a re-boot is required, and at that point you get a message that the up-dates failed, and you are back to step one. Updates message in task bar says you have 17 updates to install. Is this a malware or malware caused problem.

I can do a Hijackthis log if needed.

Any Thoughts? I tried searching bleepingcomputer for "win 7 update problems" and received "0" zero results back. So I must be a 1st here with this problem.

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2012 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

Have you tried running Windows troubleshooting?

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button,

and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update

Tried Safe Mode?

Another scan would be useful http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

On the left of the page,click on the blue button labeled

Run Eset Online Scanner

run a scan,checkmark all appropriate boxes,including 'check archives,

click on advanced settings and checkmark ''scan for pottentialy unsafe apps'

disable your antivirus just before you run Start

and re-enable it afterwards.The scanner will give you the option to delete anything it finds at the end.

Please do that and if after a cleaning of your disk and a reboot,the problem persists or

İf no malware is found,please come back here.

Also running scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware would be good.

Edited by Julia G, 31 October 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#3 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Tried in Safe mode, Update options are not available.

I did run SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes (all updated) after Rkill.

Also ran:
> CCleaner,
> MRT.exe,
> Symantec Endpoint scan,
> SFC and
> Pandasoft online scan.

I will try eset next, did not do that one.

No, I did not know about the troubleshooter, I will try that as well, I have little faith in MS self fixing products, they are like the coast guard helicopter flying by only to wave at you as you are sinking.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

OK, eset on-line scan found this:

C:\Users\montim\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0vm0kyqg.default\extensions\plugin@yontoo.com\content\overlay.js Win32/Adware.Yontoo application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\montim\Downloads\cnet_Setup_Ex_zip.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.D application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\montim\Downloads\FileZilla_Setup.exe a variant of Win32/Adware.iBryte.C application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\montim\Downloads\freefileviewer_2_1283.exe a variant of Win32/InstallIQ application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

The troubleshooting looked just like MS Fix It I have used a few times.

I ran the update (17 updates) and got the very same error message after re-boot. Failure configuring Windows Updates.

BTW, I have been seeing that "Yontoo" alot lately (other people I help with infections), seems to be a popular one these days.

The computer again shows 17 updates process in the task bar.

#5 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

İf you were again unsuccessful updating after the ESET scan

that obviously means that your system is still infected.

Did you clean your hdd after the scan and then rebooted?

You'll need to now wait for the malware removal guys here

to help you further.

Until then you can try to rescan with ESET but this time via Safe Mode with networking.

İt may help.

Good luck.

And the M/soft quip was funny hihihi

Edited by Julia G, 01 November 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#6 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Do I have to do anything special to get this thread seen by a malware hit man?

#7 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

You may like to start a new topic or

please read FORUM RULES at top of page.

Edited by Julia G, 01 November 2012 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users