Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Renewal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I paid for a domain for a friend, and I get annual reminders for payment from 123-reg.co.uk for Web hosting and/or domain renewal

Spoke to him today and he said he knew someone in the it business who said that if you let it run out, the it guy said he can buy the domain for 10 UK pounds and there are no other annual charges after that ?

Just wondered if this is legit

Are there no charges for Web Hosting etc, which I have been billed for annually ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

One does not 'buy' domains in the sense that one gets to keep the domain for ever and ever. You pay fees for the right to use the domain, and in that sense, the domain is 'yours'.

Owning a domain is different than paying for web hosting. A domain is how visitors know to get to your site. Web hosting is what you need once your visitors get there, so that also is a recurring fee.

I think you are missing part of the picture.

#3 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks

I think I normally get 2 charges - 1 for the domain and 1 for web hosting

Could not see how you can make a one off payment.

If you owned a server, and get the domain transfered to there, is it then possible that circumstances may change ??

Maybe that what was meant ?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

The only thing I can think of, and it would make sense, is that the 'guy' would by the license for a full year, instead of incurring a monthly charge. Buying a domain is cheap; in some cases less than $12 USD per year, and often less than $15 per year. It is dead simple to purchase a domain. I wouldn't pay monthly fees.

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hosting and domains are separate. Domains cost ~$10 per year. To have a ".com/.org/.net" you must pay this fee. No exceptions.

Hosting can range from free to several thousands per month depending on the features, type of hosting, etc. I wouldn't trust free hosting for a business site, though. They're normally overloaded to the point that they're pretty much useless. Not to mention they normally have a ton of ads (nothing is free, that's how they offer "FREE" hosting).

The only way I can see this offer as being legit, is if the person is already leasing their own dedicated server/VPS and is offering to put your site on it for "free".

I wouldn't trust his offer either way, though. Sounds like he is just wanting to snatch the domain up and take it "hostage" to make you pay hundreds if not thousands to get ownership of it again.

Also, if it was legit - you could keep ownership of the domain and simply point the DNS to this "free" hosting/server. The letting it expire so he can point it, is completely wrong.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Some webhosting providers give you 1 free domain for life. They charge only for webhosting and auto-renew your domain name themselves when needed.
I paid for three years of hosting and I don't have to worry about annual domain renewal for 3 years.

Edited by Romeo29, 03 November 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#7 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

If its a regular hosting account and a regular domain you should be able to just cancel you hosting account and keep the domain, that simple.

You can then transfer the domain name to any web host you would like, or simply just pay for the domain name every year and not have it hosted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users