Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run DDS.COM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

EDIT: I managed to run DDS.com by temporarily disabling the parental controls, so you can disregard or delete this topic.

Hello.
I tried to run DDS.COM in order to be able to post in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" forum, but it doesn't launch. Gmer launches fine though.

I use a limited account on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, with UAC and parental controls enabled. So, of course, if I try to run an application that is not in the list of allowed applications, I get a prompt asking for the admin password, or I have to run it using right click then run as administrator. However, I cannot select "run as administrator" when I right click on DDS.com, and I don't get prompted for the admin password, so I can't run the software. Also, ever since I suspected a trojan infection (today), I have found that the prompt for the admin password never appears anymore. I used to get a message from parental controls or something (sorry, I don't remember the details) that asked me whether I want to run the application or not, and then, I had the option to enter the admin password and allow the application to run.

Now, I have to force applications to run as administrator through right click, then run as etc... Except that for some applications, such as DDS.com, the option to run as admin is not available.

If possible, I'd rather not log into an admin account to launch DDS.com, because it appears that my computer is infected with trojans, and that logging into the administrator account could make the situation worse, or so I've been told.

I hope to get an answer.
Thank you!

Edited by Shoemaker21, 31 October 2012 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

No problem. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users