My wife is a Facebook enthusiast. a couple of nights ago her audio stopped working. I thought she might have mis-set something. She does that. A little while later she complained that her mouse stopped working. I replaced the mouse to no effect and tried to figure out what had gone wrong.
Shortly after that my own system began to behave badly, refusing to restart, and refusing to display explorer when booted.
I was able to get explorer to load by forcing it closed from taskman and then restarting it. The event logs are full of ...did not register with DCOM within... I tried to recover my system to discover that all my restore points were gone and the RP utility disabled. I then attempted to run numerous scans using Avast which showed trivial PUPs but no real threats. I attempted to repair my system using the XP install media and it could not find a valid partition and that is when I decided something was serious.
Please bear with me as both systems are crippled and getting exact word for word info requires some acrobatics when referring to my system. Let me know exactly what you need and I will try to get it in here with mouse-keys and some cursing.
For the moment I'll address only my wife's system (which I'm currently on) and try to get this one fixed before moving on to the other.
I found that her AVG registration had lapsed without her saying anything about it so I attempted to set Avast up for her and it immediately returned a notice that it was expired. So much for a free-for-personal demo-ware that can be disabled by malware before it can even run. bad show.
I then downloaded TDSKiller from a link here and RogueKiller as well... Both found problems but RogueKiller found non-trivial issues including ZeroAccess and MBR.0, both of which it claimed to fix and which do not show on later scans.
TDSKiller found w32/OnlineGames as well as a few PUPs.
Since I've already gone messing with this, I realize this may have made things more difficult, but I hope you can help me.
Her audio and mouse are still dead. Replacing hardware with hardware known to be working does not fix it. Replacing her PS2 mouse with a USB mouse does not return function.
In addit6ion her browser (Firefox) was hijacked by livesearchnow, making it cumbersome to search for help. I've locked the referrer out in Outpost, but the browser is still hijacked as I have not been able to search up the fix for that yet, and assume that fixing that is lower priority than getting her system healthy again.
The last thing I intend to do is secure a copy of her MBR before I sit on my hands and wait for help. I am out of my depth here but I'm reasonably computer literate and will try to follow your instructions to the letter.
I've run aswMBR on both systems and saved copies of the boot records for both systems, both to the desktop and to a remote NAS (linux) for safe-keeping.
Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis