Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes for a second then it comes back..Please help me fix

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sandman423

sandman423

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

My computer has been doing this for awhile...I've had it for over 4 years and it works fine but it seems like lately my computer will freeze for a second and then it makes a suddle click sound then it comes back...Computer is not making loud noises or anything but when it freezes it sounds like it is switching gears before it works like normal again.

Someone told me Memory issue and I have Memtest but not sure how to use the ISO.

Here is my computer components...If you need more just let me know

Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core 2.30GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR2 x4 2048MBytes PC2-6400 (400MHz) SpekTek Incorporated Serial 8D0132AE
64 bit Operating System
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785-M Rev X.0x

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 0506, 11/24/2009
SMBIOS: 2.5

Any help would be appreciated....My friend built this for me a few years back. Please help me fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

Please help

#3 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

From what you describe,i would first check the hdd

as the clicking sound may well mean that it is faulty.

You could first run chkdsk

and then a hdd diagnostics tool.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/seagateseatools.htm

Re:the memtest İSO http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

the image burner for the İSO (best of it's kind on the market) http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

choose Mirror 7 - Provided by ImgBurn for download.

Hope this helps you.

İf you have any questions,please feel free to ask.

Edited by Julia G, 31 October 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#4 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well I did the SeaGate HDD Tool and ALL HDD Drives Passed...I tried running Memtest x86 v3.5 and it Froze on 5% of starting...I did basic test and there was Experimental test and another test...

So is it my memory how do I test.

#5 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

The link i gave you above How to Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+

was the test.

İf you followed instructions given in the tutorial,on how to burn and then how to use the disc,

and the test didn't complete,i would replace the RAM sticks.İf you're not comfortable checking them

by removing two at a time,to see if the problem persists,then i would bring the pc to a pc repair shop,

so they can do it for you.

#6 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

I did the Memtestx86 4.2 and I did 6 Passes and it told me No Errors or Problems...

Did the SeatTools HDD Test for ALL HDD and all PASSED..Also updated my Firmware for 1.5 TB HDD Seagate.

So what could it possibly be?...It happens mostly when streaming videos.

Here is a pic of what it said on Pass 3

Image 01

#7 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Please read the following

3. Let it run until AT LEAST 7 PASSES are completed, or errors are found (whichever comes first). The longer you run it, the better.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+-capture.png

Seven passes will take several hours, depending on your amount of RAM. It is advised to leave it running overnight.

Part 3: If You Have Errors:

The goal is to test all the RAM sticks and all the motherboard slots.

Check your motherboard manual to ensure the RAM sticks are in the recommended motherboard slots. Some motherboards have very specific slots required for the number of RAM sticks installed.

If you get errors, stop the test and continue with the next step.

1. Remove all but one stick of RAM from your computer (this will be RAM stick #1), and run Memtest86 again, for 7 passes.

Be sure to note the RAM stick, use a piece of tape with a number, and note the motherboard slot.

If this stick passes the test then go to step #3.

2. If RAM stick #1 has errors, repeat the test with RAM stick #2 in the same motherboard slot.

If RAM stick #2 passes, this indicates that RAM stick #1 may be bad. If you want to be absolutely sure, re-test RAM stick #1 in another known good slot.

If RAM stick #2 has errors, this indicates another possible bad RAM stick, a possible motherboard slot failure or inadequate settings.

3. Test the next stick of RAM (stick #2) in the next motherboard slot.

If this RAM stick has errors repeat step #2 using a known good stick if possible, or another stick.

If this RAM stick has no errors and both sticks failed in slot#1, test RAM stick #1 in this slot.

4. If you find a stick that passes the test, test it in all the other motherboard slots.

If Part 2 testing shows errors, and all tests in Part 3 show errors, you will need to test the RAM sticks in another computer and/or test other RAM in your computer to identify the problem.

In this way, you can identify whether it is a bad stick of RAM, a bad motherboard, or incompatibility between the sticks.

#8 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I did the 6 passes and it took over 17 hours....No Errors...Could it be that my Ram is to old or small in one of the slots which might cause a problem. I was told if you do 4-5 Passes your Great which is what I did.

I am not sure what is wrong with computer because it works fine...I've been on it for only an hour today and no problems have shown up yet.

#9 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

You ran disk diagnostics and memtest and both passed.

İn your original post you said''My computer has been doing this for awhile...I've had it for over 4 years and it works fine but it seems like lately my computer will freeze for a second and then it makes a suddle click sound then it comes back...Computer is not making loud noises or anything but when it freezes it sounds like it is switching gears before it works like normal again.''

İ would pay attention to what exactly you're doing,next time this happens.
Wherther you're using a program,game or whatever.
İf this freezing happens only during the use of that,uninstall it,clean your hdd and reboot.

Check to see if freezing re-occures.İt may well be a conflict of some kind,even an unsuitable
or corrupt driver.
Also if the sleep function is enabled,for testing you may disable it and see if problem persists or not.

Time will tell.

Re:the RAM modules,you could have someone check them for you,that may be best,to set your mind at rest.

#10 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Well it happens a lot with Streaming Video & Music and sometimes when I am just searching the internet or going through my computer. I did a Defragmentation of ALL Drives with Diskeeper and Updated my drivers...My latest update was for the Seagate 1.5 TB Drive.

Edited by sandman423, 03 November 2012 - 04:13 AM.

#11 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Did you disable sleep for testing the issue?
The only other suggestion i can make at this point is,to try and remember if you did an update for a program,driver(s)OR installed a new program,JUST before this started happening.

From what i hear McAfee has been causing this freezing,especially while playing games,on some systems.Did you change your antivirus program perhaps?İt does appear to be a conflict,so you may try to perhaps roll back the video driver,especially if you updated it,just before this problem first occured.İf the problem persists you can always update it again.Perhaps others here,may have more suggestions for you.

P.S İt may be useful to run a scan with ESET. http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ You never know.Make sure to disable your antivirus,just before you scan and remember to re-enable it afterwards.

#12 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I haven't changed my anti-virus and I am using Eset Anti-Virus...been awhile of installing different software so not sure...I wish I could find out with a program.

#13 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Did you try my suggestions above re:the disabling of ''sleep''
and running the ESET Online Scanner? İf so the results are...?
And ''the latest update was for the Seagate 1.5 TB Drive''you mentioned,was that done BEFORE the problem first occured?

Also do you have any programs installed,that have the same OR a similar function? That may well cause conflicts.So it's worth having a look at your programs.
İf you find two with a similar function,uninstall one,clean your hdd,reboot and see what happens.

Also it may not be related to your particular problem at this time,but listing all of the security programs you have installed,may be helpful.

Edited by Julia G, 04 November 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#14 sandman423

sandman423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

I can't figure what is up with my computer...No Viruses or Malware.

Today I was on youtube watching movies and then I had the computer freeze for a second and then come back but my sound isn't working...I tested my speakers and they seem to be dead...I have had them for 7 years. Cambridge Soundworks 2 Speakers w/Sub Woofer...I thought it might be the sound card causing issues...But I tried plugging another portable speaker into my computer and it seems to be working...

How can I test the sound card? Isn't the sound card part of the Motherboard...I am currently unemployed so I can't really buy a new motherboard...I am looking into possibly buy new speakers. If the sound card is failing could it have been the culprit to my computer freezing for a second then coming back?

Please help.

I took headphones and I have 2 jacks in front...I plugged headphones in Jack on the Left and I can only hear sound in Left Ear, So I tried plugging into Jack on the Right and I can have sound in both ears. Tried Plugging directly into back panel Sound Jack and Sound is OK in both ears. Says under Device Manager sound that I have NVidia HD Audio and VIA HD Audio.

Edited by sandman423, 12 November 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#15 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

1..You did NOT answer any of of the questions i posted above.
2..For testing the sound,you can do this: Start,type dxdiag into the search box,under Programs click on dxdiag.exe and run the test.
3..You may have to bring the laptop to a pc repair shop,for the mobo to be checked,as the problem may well be hardware related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users