Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mdsimmons

mdsimmons

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I installed an OCZ 32GB SSD a few months ago, intended to contain only my OS - Win 7 Pro 32-bit. This worked fine for a few months, but over time I inadvertently installed several programs (utility billing system; word processor; LibreOffice; and a few others by failing to select "Custom" install). The drive has become full (less than 3GB free space), and I can no longer create new System Images - can't access the Shadow Copy).

I removed several programs, and reinstalled them on another standard HDD, then ran the Windows System Image, but I get error messages telling me there are bad sectors or corrupted files on the original drive. I ran chkdsk /r to see if it would fix, and several sectors were apparently repaired, but not all... I still get error messages. OCZ can't help with this problem, except to tell me to make direct file backups, which I tried but still get errors, "...can't read sector no..xxxxxx..." Is there anything I can do to recover whatever data is missing?

I bought a new OCZ Vertex3 120GB SSD, formatted and activated it, and will install Win 8 Pro on it. When I unplug the original SSD, the new one should become Drive C:, right?
I will also install all future programs on the standard HDD when I get them. Is this 120GB SSD big enough to serve as my boot drive for an appreciable length of time?
Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zodiac Control

Zodiac Control

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yes, you will have to remove everything from the drive or a lot before creating a system image. However, if it will boot, you can create a system image on an external hard drive without much difficulty. I assume OCZ stands for Output, CMOS Levels, Tri-stateable?

To answer the most important question, in order for you to recover your data, your going to need some form of recovery software, and either hosting it on the 120gb while having the 32gb plugged in simultaneously (Harder way) or to have some form of removable media, burnable cd..flash drive.. external hd..etc.

Edit: Yes the new one should become Drive :, and the 120GB SSD is big enough to serve as main boot device for quite some time, just don't go out installing too much stuff or crowding it. You should make a partition which would allow you to have full control over something like this in the event of a crisis like such.

Edited by Zodiac Control, 31 October 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#3 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

İnstalling Windows on the 32GB SSD was NOT a good move

as it it barely enough,so certainly not suitable.

most manufacturers recommend keeping 10-20% of the drive empty. This empty space is there to assist the

leveling algorithms (they redistribute the data across the NAND modules to minimize the total wear on the drive

and ensure a long life and optimum drive performance). Too little space and the leveling algorithms work over time

and prematurely wear on the drive.

This link will give you more useful info http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/45359/htg-explains-whats-a-solid-state-drive-and-what-do-i-need-to-know/

Now re:the 120 GB SSD,YES that's a very good size,however installing all of your programs on the HDD,to install your programs

kind of defeats the purpose of having an SSD.

On a 120 GB SSD you should be fine having both the OS and your essential apps and programs there.

#4 mdsimmons

mdsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yes, I mistakenly thought that a 32GB SSD would be sufficient for Win 7 Pro... as long as I didn't install any other programs, and forgot about the consequences of "Typical" installation instead of "Custom." Since my initial post, I've had a couple of discussions with my program vendors, telling me that Windows 8 is NOT a good choice for a business machine installation. They are calling Win8, even Win8Pro, a toy instead of a business application! Obviously, they're not very high in M$oft's latest offering, at least for the business world, so I think I'll stick with Win7Pro for this particular re-make.

I also discovered that I couldn't clone the 32GB SSD onto the 120GB SSD with a paid version of Acronis' TrueImage or with DirectXML, either... same error messages, so I guess I'm stuck with copying whatever essential files I can find onto the new drive. I won't worry about reinstalling programs, since they are all installed on a different HDD and are working. I'm a bit concerned about what all this maneuvering will do to my registry, though...

Btw, founded in 2002 in San Jose, California, OCZ Technology Group, Inc. has been in the memory business for quite some time.

Doug

Edited by mdsimmons, 31 October 2012 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users