Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP (or VAIO) time bomb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unifex

unifex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi all,

I have a very strange problem on my old Sony Vaio. I haven't used it for a long time, then decided to check it out and either give to a kid or sell or something.

I found a very strange problem: unless I change the system date to something like 1999, I get a BSOD right after "loading your personal settings" screen, sometimes slightly later, but always within a minute or two after I login (it gets to the login screen just fine). The error code on the blue screen is

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80573332, 0xF388199C, 0x00000000)

I have googled this error code, did not find anything specific for the whole string. The first code, 0x8E, is often referred to hardware problems, such as memory or video card or something like that.

But, in my case, just changing the date completely resolves the issue, everything works fine, except that at logon I get a message "system time is invalid". But if I ignore it, nothing happens and the laptop works fine. I can even change the date back to the current date, again, nothing bad happens. But the start up procedure somehow does not like the date. I tried to disable everything I could, but the same thing happens even in the Safe Mode and with every single start up item disabled in msconfig.

Now, I am really curious as to what the problem might be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ex0syphen

ex0syphen

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Try putting in the OS install disk and running the repair option. If sounds like some registry or system file is messed up, and this might fix it. Also, run a BIOS diagnostic and reinstall/update firmware.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'd replace the CMOS battery.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Forget any instructions write down settings...that was long ago and far away.

After replacing the battery, boot into BIOS and elect the default settings for optimal boot.

If this is a laptop...it may not be so simple (above instructions are for desktops).

Louis

#4 unifex

unifex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try getting a new battery and then flashing the BIOS.

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is indeed a laptop. I'll figure out how to change the battery, might be a bit trickier with the BIOS flash, since the corresponding Sony utility seems to want to make a floppy, but there is no floppy drive on this laptop (even the CD-ROM is external and I've got no external floppy drive handy). But, I'll try and let you know how it's going.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

There's no reason to flash the BIOS, IMO.

When the CMOS battery weakens...it can cause the BIOS date/time data to change. Files may then reflect incorrect installation dates, which may be a problem for Windows.

Just reset and save...the BIOS settings whenever replacing the CMOS/RTM battery.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users