Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not able to boot up after a power surge.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 o0Slickman0o

o0Slickman0o

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

While using my computer, the power in my room went out. Most likely because of hurricane Sandy. Shortly after, the power came back on, and I attempted to boot up my computer. The PC turns on (power), it shows me the motherboard screen (I am able to enter the BIOS), then asks me if I want to resume normal boot up or launch repairs. I click on boot up normally, it thinks a little, shows me the Windows logo, and then immediately restarts. Every time.
What I tried:
I tried repairs, but it says that it can not find a solution (like always lol). I then tried system restore, but to my surprise that failed too, giving me "rstrui.exe - application error". This led me to believe that my HDD failed. I also tried the clear CMOS thing, but that failed too.
I used a SATA to USB dongle to test the Hard Drive on another computer and it seems to be working fine, so my original diagnosis might be wrong.
I also tried reseating the RAM, but that did not help either.
Finally I entered the BOIS to see if something is messed up. Everything thing seems ok, clocks are set to auto (I do not overclock) and it recognizes everything. I also checked the hard drive configuration. The "Configure SATA as" is set to IDE (other options are RAID, and AHCI) not sure if thats correct.

Any ideas guys ?
New member so hello everyone, and thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

What operating system are you using?

Do you have a installation disk for it?

When the power cuts off like that with the computer on it's like doing a hard shutdown which can damage files that were running at the time. If you have the installation disk for this operating system you can perform a sfc /scannow (System File Check), this will replace missing or corrupted files. If you don't have a disk, can you borrow one from a friend? It will need to be the same version of your operating system, example... XP Home, XP Professional, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 o0Slickman0o

o0Slickman0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have the operating disk (windows 7). Could you please explain the scan more clearly? how do I preform it ?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Boot your Win OS disc and choose Repair your computer and go to Command Prompt(last option). From there type sfc /scannow.
A guide for booting from the install disc would be found here : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/
You can start with the sfc and repair options.

Tekken

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

In order to boot from you Windows 7 disk you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that your CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 o0Slickman0o

o0Slickman0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I did a fresh install of windows 7 and everything seems to be working fine.
Thanks for the help guys :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Huzzah!

Glad to hear it.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users