Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a recovery partition on new SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Acer 722 netbook to an 265GB SSD and installed Windows 7 on it. I was wondering if there was a way to create a partition for a recovery environment (just in case something happens). I have a system image of this pc saved, however I feel it would be best to also create a recovery partition.

Note: This does not have a CD drive.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

If the original hard drive reflected a recovery partition...and you cloned the drive...the new drive has such.

If you did not clone the drive...and your Acer disks don't reflect the recovery partition...then you have erred.

If you did a clean install of Win 7 with a license/disk other than that supplied by Acer...there is no need for a "recovery partition", since such exists only as a substitute for reinstalling Windows to the state that it existed when system was first purchased.

System Restore is the Windows function provided by Microsoft for system problems.

What you need to be doing constantly/routinely...is backing up your system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Zodiac Control

Zodiac Control

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I personally enjoyed my recovery partition because I always knew that it would save me worst come to worst. I have to second the part where he said "you should be backing it up," but lets say that you don't have an external or another hdd to do so on. My doing would be to dual boot your windows partition with linux or simply make them recovery cd's and download boot cd's like hiren's boot cd, or ultimate boot cd.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

<<...and download boot cd's like hiren's boot cd>>

Please read Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

A recovery partition...is inferior to a clone of the hard drive...because a clone doesn't send the user all the way back to Square One with the install. I see many users today with Windows installations dating back several years...for those users, using a recovery partition or disks means losing everything that was installed from the initial purchase of the system.

Considering the price of hard drives and the storage capabilities reflected today...I find it hard to believe that anyone could possibly not be able to afford what amounts to "insurance" provided by consistent backups. When I compare the cost of a hard drive...to the man-hours that would be spent reinstalling programs and the irrevocable loss of data files created since initial purchase...recovery mechanisms are clear losers.

Add to that the fact that hard drive failure may invalidate the possibility of using any recovery mechansims other than a cloned or backed up reinstall on a new hard drive...well, I don't see much reason to jeopardize the contents of a system by depending on reocvery mechanisms provided by recovery disks/partitions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users