Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aatapi.sys Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seanbateman7

seanbateman7

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hey!
So I encountered my second blue screen of death, that made me reboot, only to find that I couldn't boot up, it just hung on IDE drives, this is the second time this has happened so I took my HDD and slaved it on another pc and ran dskchk. Alas it allows me to boot again! However I feel like I'm needing to fix this problem seeing as how this is the second time. I've done some research and saw that combo fix and tds killer may efficiently kill my problem however I know not to run things without being told to seeing as how it can ruin your computer.

My blue screen:
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
atapi.sys

thats all I wrote down. I was doing some things in excel when the blue screen popped up.

I believe I may have a Rootkit malware of sorts but I'm unsure, I know its potentially bad and I would really like to fix it!

Thanks!
Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

<<I've done some research and saw that combo fix and tds killer may efficiently kill my problem.>>

The two tools mentioned...are only capable of overcoming some malware issues, they are not cures for Windows/system problmes...and they cannot overcome all malware issues.

BSODs are not necessarily the result of malware problems, although a BSOD may be the only visible signal of a malware situation, IMO.

If you feel that you have a malware situation with sufficient reason for such...then I suggest that you provide such reasons and I will move your topic to the Am I Infected forum.

It should be noted that chkdsk /r is incapable of overcoming malware problems...it a file system tool built into Windows. If chkdsk /r previously resolved a similar situation...it would seem that there is no reason to assume...that malware is present or a contributing factor.

Refernce Worth Reading

Based on what you've stated thus far...I'd suggest checking the hard drive (first) to ensure that there is no problem there.

<<I believe I may have a Rootkit malware of sorts but I'm unsure,>>

I'm moving your topic to the Am I Infected forum, based on above statement.

Louis

#3 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Louis,

There is a chance that it is not malware and that it is just a corrupted system file. I am still believing it to be malware though. I don't have the windows recovery disc and I don't know where to safely get the file to replace with.

-Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users