Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 BSoD in 2 days

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 esmn

esmn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

I've gotten the blue screen of death three times in the last two days. All three times I've been browsing the web on chrome, nothing special. The third time I was on reddit, not sure about the previous ones. I haven't made any changes to my pc recently that I think could cause this, unless it was an automatic update to something

I would appreciate some help with figuring out the problem and fixing it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I don't think my system creates minidump files, because nothing shows up in bluescreenview. I did follow the instructions on that link though on how to make your computer create them, and I have changed that. So I guess now I wait until I get another blue screen?

Edit: another bsod today, bluescreenview still doesn't show anything.

Edited by esmn, 31 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), please download and then run the following:
It seems that crash dumps are not being created &/or saved for recent BSODs. It will therefore be necessary for you to record and post details that you see on-screen of the BSOD error messages.

Please disable "automatic restart on system failure":

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I forgot to change my automatic restart settings before a blue screen I got recently but I have finally changed it and next time I will write down the information. I did see that the error was "kernel data inpage error", I'll post the rest after the next blue screen which should be in the next few days. Here is what you requested in the first part of your post:

AutoReboot=FALSE
Caption=
DebugFilePath=%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
DebugInfoType=3
Description=
ExpandedDebugFilePath=C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP
ExpandedMiniDumpDirectory=C:\windows\Minidump
KernelDumpOnly=FALSE
MiniDumpDirectory=%SystemRoot%\Minidump
Name=Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium |C:\windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
OverwriteExistingDebugFile=TRUE
SendAdminAlert=FALSE
SettingID=
WriteDebugInfo=TRUE
WriteToSystemLog=TRUE

AllocatedBaseSize=4043
Caption=C:\pagefile.sys
CurrentUsage=43
Description=C:\pagefile.sys
InstallDate=20110312141522.852407-360
Name=C:\pagefile.sys
PeakUsage=77
Status=
TempPageFile=FALSE

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Those settings look good and should result in the crash dumps being recorded and saved.

I did see that the error was "kernel data inpage error"

STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Let's have a closer look at the hard drive since that error is often associated with a hard drive issue. I'll ask that you download and install GSmartControl and post a report containing the S.M.A.R.T. data.

How to obtain hard drive S.M.A.R.T data on a Windows system and then paste the report into a forum post
  • Download the GSmartControl installer application:
    • Go to the GSmartControl - Downloads page.
    • Scroll part way down the page to where the current version available for download will be displayed.
      Posted Image
    • Click on the link to download the installer file to your computer.
      (There may be a mirror link there also which will enable you download the file if the main download link does not work for some reason.)
  • Double-click the downloaded application to run it and install GSmartControl on the computer.
    Note: Vista/Win7 users, right-click > Run as Administrator
  • When installation is complete, run GSmartControl:
    • Start GSmartControl from the Start > Programs menu.
  • When the interface has loaded and scanning for hard drives is complete, click on the hard drive icon to select the device.
  • Go to Device on the top menu > View Details, and a new Device Information window will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab to display the S.M.A.R.T data values.
  • Near the bottom of the window, click on View Output and a new Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click anywhere inside that window > Select All.
  • Again right-click in that selected area > Copy.
  • Now paste that in a reply to your topic.
    Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
    • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
      You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
    • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

I should note that when the last bsod happened, I had trouble getting windows to start back up. After reaching the point after entering my password, the screen would get stuck on the welcome message, never reaching my desktop. Finally after 2-3 tries I entered my password and instead of welcome it said "preparing desktop" or something like that. When my desktop loaded, it was a black screen similar to safe mode where it looks like windows 98 or something. I restarted and everything was back to normal.

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     TOSHIBA MK6465GSXN
Serial Number:    11L9S3UNS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 305a02382
Firmware Version: GH101M
User Capacity:    640,135,028,736 bytes [640 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Thu Nov 08 01:00:55 2012 CST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
					was never started.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
					without error or no self-test has ever 
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		(  120) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
					Suspend Offline collection upon new
					command.
					Offline surface scan supported.
					Self-test supported.
					No Conveyance Self-test supported.
					Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
					power-saving mode.
					Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
					General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 188) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x003d)	SCT Status supported.
					SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
					SCT Feature Control supported.
					SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   100   100   001    Pre-fail  Always       -       2072
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4126
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       1119
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       4415
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0033   182   100   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4125
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       15
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       16
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       42656
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Min/Max 19/48)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       106
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
220 Disk_Shift              0x0002   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       8234
222 Loaded_Hours            0x0032   091   091   000    Old_age   Always       -       3642
223 Load_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
224 Load_Friction           0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
226 Load-in_Time            0x0026   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       351
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0001   100   100   001    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        13         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Edited by esmn, 08 November 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Thank you: That hit the nail squarely on the head!

S.M.A.R.T. attributes related to failing sectors on the hard drive:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       1119
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       106
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
Reference: S.M.A.R.T.

The Reallocated_Sector_Ct shows 1119 sectors having failed already! That's a big number!

The hard drive is failing badly and should be replaced as soon as possible.
  • You should plan a fresh installation of Windows on a new hard drive.
:exclame: Important! Ensure that you have backed up important personal files to a physically separate device! :exclame:

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 November 2012 - 03:42 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

So my laptop will pretty much die in the near future?
Also, I don't have a windows disc. How would I install windows once I buy a new hard drive? I'm not planning on buying a copy of windows.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Did you ever make a set of recovery disks? If not, since the computer is still able to run Windows, make them now.
  • You should find that facility somewhere in the menu on the laptop.
Post the laptop's make and model details if you need further assistance with that.

There is the possibility that the portion of the hard drive containing the factory recovery partition is damaged, so that may not work, but it is the first thing you should try.

The laptop manufacturer will provide a set of installation disks for a nominal fee in most cases if necessary.

Edit: Yes, the hard drive is dying now and Windows is in dire peril at this stage.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 November 2012 - 04:04 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

I probably should also add here, that there is another possible option (and success would depend very much on the extent of damage to important system files) if things get desparate:
  • The entire failing hard drive could be cloned to a new hard drive.
  • A variation to this idea is that the factory recovery partition on the failing hard drive could be cloned to the new hard drive and then used to re-install Windows.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

So assuming I am able to make recovery disks, I can use them to install windows and all my stuff on the new hard drive?

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

... all my stuff ...

Important! Backup "all your stuff" to an external hard drive or CD/DVDs NOW! :exclame: This is your first and only priority right now!

When that is done, then make the recovery disks! All this should be done without delay. You may not have a lot of time left before Windows crashes permanently!

Edit: Yes, you can then use the recovery disks that you make to re-install Windows on the new hard drive.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 November 2012 - 04:17 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 esmn

esmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well just gotta say thank you for all your help. I will keep you updated on what happens.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

:thumbup2: Let us know if you have any problems ... or questions. Hopefully we got that diagnosed early enough that you can take the necessary steps to make the transition to a new hard drive as trouble-free as possible.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users