Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A Sata Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

Ok i got a new SATA hard drive today and I was wondering how to go around setting it up. It is going to be the only HDD, its a Maxtor 100gb. And its going to be on a PCI controller since the motherboard doesnt have a SATA connector. I guess im wondering since nothing is on the primary IDE connector, will the computer not recognize the HDD or is there a special driver to install or will it recognize it right away without windows installed? The only other drives connected are a 250mb zip drive and a DVD drive on the same cable in the secondary IDE connector. Will they work there or will they have to go on the primary IDE connector, and if they do, will the HDD not boot because it is looking at the drives there as HDDs?

Obviously, ive never done SATA before, and I kinda wanted some advice before I go screw up a brand new drive. Thanks.

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

during system setup, go into your bios screen or boot-up screen. usually, its hitting "F3" during bootup would take you there.

Changing your boot-up sequence and where the HD and other devices are located would prevent any probs.

hope that helps
~VAIO~

#3 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

Ok so I got the card today, and the drive installed. The card came with some instructions, but there was one other thing I need to know. Since I mentioned earlier that there was nothing connected to the primary IDE connector, hence no HDD there, when I go into the bios, would I have to set the boot order to see the drive as SCSI or just C:? Is C: for IDE only or will it still see the drive on the card? The reason I asked this is because it said during the setup before windows is installed, that I am supposed to select the option to install a 3rd party SCSI or other driver. I was planning on putting an IDE drive in so I wouldnt have to go thru this, but a brand new 100gb HDD for $40 is not to be passed up. :thumbsup: BTW this is going to be a fresh install.

Thanks for any help!

-Nick

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

SATA is not SCSI. You don't need to load special drivers for SATA. The best way to find out is to go into the BIOS and see what you find. Check to see if the new hard drive is recognized, and check to see what the boot order is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users