Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS server not responding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VonLauder

VonLauder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

For the past week and a half, my internet connection has been going out frequently. It started by going out for a few hours one evening and came back up by itself. Then for a few days the connection wouldn't work when I started up my desktop until I unplugged the router and plugged it back in. Now, for the past four days, my internet has been going out from ~1:00 pm until ~4:15 pm every day. I get home at around 1:45 from class so the internet is already down as soon as I turn on my computer. It also went out last night at around midnight for 30ish minutes.

Unplugging and replugging the router has no effect, nor does restarting my desktop. The diagnostic tool shows that my desktop is connected to the network but that it can't access the internet. If I try to run the troubleshooting tool on my desktop, it tells me "The DNS server isn't responding". Very rarely, it will instead give me a message instructing me to unplug and replug my router which does solve the problem, but usually it's the DNS message.

Whenever it does start working again, it does it by itself. I don't have to do anything.

My desktop is running Windows 7 and using a wired connection. I've also attempted to access the internet wirelessly using my laptop which is running Windows XP but it's having the same issue -- connected to the network but not to the internet. Both computers are updated and neither are running resident AV protection. My Android phone also cannot access webpages if I connect it to the wifi. I'm able to connect my laptop to the wifi at school so I don't think it's a problem with either of my computers.

My router is made by Motorola and my ISP is Time Warner Cable. It was installed in my apartment about 4 weeks ago. When I access the router settings under DHCP, it looks like it's assigning MAC and IP addresses to my laptop, desktop, and Android. Parental controls are not enabled.

Does this sound like a router problem or an ISP problem?

Edited by VonLauder, 29 October 2012 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

Try changing the DNS servers to google DNS and see if it works, flow this article
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

On step 5
Posted Image

- Choose the option Obtain and IP address automaticaly
- For the DNS part use the settings like on the image

If you have a problem with the ISP DNS servers this will allow you to connect.

Edited by SleepyDude, 29 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users