Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Power Supply Issue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Itbephil

Itbephil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

So i'm kinda sure my PSU is going dead and may very well catch on fire soon.. I just wanted to double check before i orderd a new one. When my computer is plugged in i do get a soild light on the power supply, however, when i power my computer on it starts to smell like someting is burning. After about 2-5 minutes it shuts off and the light on the power supply is off.. After that the computer wont power up until i let it set for a while. Also i have brown like burn marks on the back medal vent of the PSU.

HP Slimline s5310y
220W power supply

T/S Steps:

- Completely cleaned the machine of dust and dirt
- Inspected other parts for any damage
- Removed power supply from case to narrow down burning smell

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hi, To be honest I wouldn't use the computer until I had a new power supply if it really is the source of the burning smell. The possibility that it can damage the computer when it is not working right is high. I have seen them kill motherboards, Memory, Drives, etc.

The Problem is that a HP Slimline uses a special power supply for size and shape as well as motherboard connector from what I have seen. Be prepared for it to cost more than a regular ATX power suply.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Itbephil

Itbephil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thank you for the great information! So from what I posted do you think it's most likey a PSU issue?

Oh I stopped using it after te burning smell (other than to T/S)

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

It could be the power supply or the motherboard. The rule of thumb is to replace less expensive parts first. If you find the motherboard is bad, it is generally indicative of a problem originating with the PSU.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 Itbephil

Itbephil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

Issue has been fixed!

All i did was simply replaced the PSU with a new one from HP.

Thanks for the input on this issue!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users