Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Divx,avi,xvid To Dvd So Can Play On Dvd Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hi there, I was just wondering wether there is a program that will allow me to change my avi files and divx files into dvd format files ie. Bup,ifo,vob. Etc.

I need a program which will allow me to do this because I am a fan of watching good programs on my big 52inch tv, not a small 17inch computer screen.

Though I have one request, please tell me good products, that convert the file, and leaves the quality the same. I have tried various dvd conveters ie:Dvd santa, and the quality of avi. To bup and vob, is shocking. Its like I was watching a dvd from the 1800ís. Please HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

winavi will change avi files to dvd in about 30mins. not sure about divx. maybe dvdsanta might work

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:40 AM

Hi there,

MediaCoder

Open source transcoder that supports all kinds of formats.

WinAvi is one of the fastest, but it tends to create shaky borders that are very distracting.

The nice thing about DivX and XviD (aka .avi) encoded video is that a full length movie can be compressed onto a 700MB CD-R disc. I paid $40 for a phillips DVD player that supports DivX and XviD so I can watch them on my big screen as well.

That $40 was a good investment because when you convert .avi to a DVD format, your PC is running at or just below 100% processor usage for the duration of the encoding process. I have a dual core rig, and it takes an average of 50 minutes to encode and burn .avi movie to disk. Single core processors that are not HyperThreaded may take twice that.

Nero costs around $30 but when I need to convert .avi to the formats you mentioned, it gives consistant quality results, and it is very user friendly.

Hope this Helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:57 AM

very interesting. I shall keep this in mind. thanks nos.

I have anotehr quick question. If i burn a movie, while i browse the internet, will this cause any problems?..and if u ask my specs for my computer...i forgot..is there a way to find out????

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:40 AM

Hi again,

You can find the basic info about your system by clicking Start--> Control Panel--> Performance & Maintanance--> System. This will tell you which Operating System including the Secrvice Pack, the Processor and speed, and the amount of RAM.
If you want a detailed list of your entire system, I recommend Belarc Advisor . It is nice to have a copy of your system profile available for quick reference troubleshooting or if you need to know the specifics of a device when upgrading hardware.

This is all assuming that you are using Windows XP.

The only problems that I could see arising are if your processor is working at 100%. There would most likely be a decrease in overall performance if you have an older PC, with a Celeron, or less than a Pentium4 processor (or similar AMD). Encoding .avi to one of the DVD type formats means you are taking a file that has been compressed about 10 times less than that of the the DVD type. So with this particular format change, the system must work intensively.

You can set the Priority of the encoding program lower, but this just increases the overall burn time. If your interested in that, Right-Click the Task bar, choose Task Manager from the menu. Under the Processes tab, find the Encoder/Burner in the list, Right-Click it, choose Set Priority from the menu, and choose the desired level.

I honestly can't tell you how much this degrades your computers components, simply because I have yet to push one to the point of degradation. I can say though, I had a rig with a Celeron Processor for a couple years, and for about 9-10 months I had used it for some labor intensive graphics production, as well as other various Power Using. I upgraded the RAM to 1GB, and it still would take 5 minutes to startup.

It wasn't riddled with Malware, as I clean my own HJT logs if needed, and I keep a relatively tidy unfragmented system, but the performance was bogged down by heavy use. My point is, some occasional labor intensive using is fine, but if you plan on doing tasks that call for high processor usage, the budget systems are just not built to handle heavy tasks for very long. On the other hand, if you have a mid to higher priced rig, it will be able to handle more, cause that is most likely why you spent the extra $.

I forgot to mention that when you use the DivX to CD-R method as I suggested in my other post, the burning time is only about 2-3 minutes, rather than 1 hour.

Hope this helps,

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:34 AM

Very interesting.

#7 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hi there,

MediaCoder

Open source transcoder that supports all kinds of formats.

WinAvi is one of the fastest, but it tends to create shaky borders that are very distracting.

The nice thing about DivX and XviD (aka .avi) encoded video is that a full length movie can be compressed onto a 700MB CD-R disc. I paid $40 for a phillips DVD player that supports DivX and XviD so I can watch them on my big screen as well.

That $40 was a good investment because when you convert .avi to a DVD format, your PC is running at or just below 100% processor usage for the duration of the encoding process. I have a dual core rig, and it takes an average of 50 minutes to encode and burn .avi movie to disk. Single core processors that are not HyperThreaded may take twice that.

Nero costs around $30 but when I need to convert .avi to the formats you mentioned, it gives consistant quality results, and it is very user friendly.

Hope this Helps,

The media coder link is no longer valid. Is there another place to find it? Thanks for the heads up on the DVD player. I would have never looked for one like that. There is a couple on ebay.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

MediaCoder
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the help

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

You're welcome, Bamamcall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users