Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP Pro over failed XP Home installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seabreezes

Seabreezes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Edited for duplicate post. My apologies. However, I'll add that clicking "Enter" when presented with the files which could not be copied during Setup had no effect whatsoever. "Skip" was my second choice.

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2012 - 04:24 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Seabreezes

Seabreezes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

My problem comes out of the middle of a procedure I'm involved in which began with a missing or corrupted hal.dll file. There were no original and no re-installation disks from the OEM, even though there are valid product codes for every copy I'm using to get this machine up and running again. The data files have never been backed up. No recovery disks were ever made.

I'm still at the stage of trying to save/recover the data files first. I'm working with:

Dell Dimension 3000
Windows XP Home, SP2

I found a process for troubleshooting and (hopefully) repairing or replacing the missing file, but first I want to be sure the data is secure, if possible, before trying to deal with the troubled drive. So far, I've:

1. Taken the drive out (IDE, Maxtor DIAMONDMAX Plus9, ATA/133 80GB) and installed a refurbished Seagate (ST3160215ACE, 160GB PATA).
2. I formatted and tried to install WinXP Home SP2 on the "new" drive, but the installation was faulty. (Details below)

I was planning to get the new drive up and running well, then put the Maxtor in as a slave and copy all the data (again, if possible) to the Seagate, before attempting any repair/recovery attempts on the Maxtor.

Dell would not send us any re-installation OS discs because the machine is out of warranty. I have XP/SP2 on my own machine, but cannot locate my software. As a result, my friend (who owns the computer) brought me a copy from a friend to use. I wanted to load and use it on the new drive, just long enough to straighten out the original drive, then remove the operating system from the Seagate and switch Master/Slave designations. In the end, he would have his original system back, with the addition of a "new" internal hard drive.

The details I mentioned: When installing WinXP on the newly installed Seagate, I ran into problems with Setup. It formatted the drive with no problem, but when it started copying files to the drive, at approx. 35% copied/installed, a file popped up which could not be copied. Actual wording:

"Setup cannot copy the file: kodac_dc.icm

To retry, press Enter
If you are installing from a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

To skip this file, press ESC
CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and WindowsXP may not work properly.

To quit Setup, press F3."

"Enter" had no effect. Going simply by the file name, I wrote it down and then chose to Skip. After a second or two, another file msg popped up, then another and another. I wrote them all down and skipped each (35 in all), until around 55% when Setup started working smoothly again and finished the installation. I got to the basic desktop and I waited until XP stopped asking me questions (Do you want XP to automatically adjust your monitor for better... etc) and when I knew it was finished, I shut it down normally, through Start>Turn off computer> etc.

So, now I know the installation could create problems and don't know whether to trust it enough to try to save data files from the Maxtor drive, or try a new installation of Windows before I go any further.

I now have a Dell reinstallation copy (again... ugh) of XP Pro. Can I try to load that right on top of the faulty Home installation?

I also have a version I copied onto disc of the (bootable) program that takes you straight into the Recovery Console, but it -- too -- stresses making sure the data is safe before attempting to run it.

I hope that's not too lengthy. I tried to give a list of the OS's and hardware I'm working with, detailed notes of what I've done, and a clear picture of what is stumping me, but it might not have been as clear as I have hoped.

Thank you for any help you can give. I obviously have other questions, but I'll wait to see what you have to say about this.

Edited by Seabreezes, 29 October 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

In your situation I will put the Seagate Drive as slave, then try to check if hal.dll file really exists on \windows\system32
if the file exists check the file properties, on the Version tab, take note of the Original File name (it could be halmacpi.dll or other)

Next search the Seagate Drive for a file with the name you found above (search for file_name.dll and file_name.dl_) if you have lucky the files will be on a i386 folder.

If the file extension is .dl_ you need to expand the file on the command prompt use the expand command.

Please post the result.

Edited by SleepyDude, 29 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Just looking at the topic title...you cannot install XP Pro "over" XP Home...they are different versions with slightly differing files and different licenses.

If you have an install effort that did not take...best thing to do is just delete that entire existing partition and begin a clean install of the O/S.

Before doing any of this, of course...I'd run the Dell Diagnostic package to verify the functional status of the hard drive.

Louis

#5 Seabreezes

Seabreezes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thank you both very much. I'll do as directed and reply to let you know how things went.

#6 Randy Dowling

Randy Dowling

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

snip

In my limited experience, anytime I've tried to install Windows on top of Windows(old or failed), I always end up with some that doesn't work properly. It always seems to booger something up. I'd be interested to hear from you if you get it to work.

Hi,

In your situation I will put the Seagate Drive as slave, then try to check if hal.dll file really exists on \windows\system32
if the file exists check the file properties, on the Version tab, take note of the Original File name (it could be halmacpi.dll or other)

Next search the Seagate Drive for a file with the name you found above (search for file_name.dll and file_name.dl_) if you have lucky the files will be on a i386 folder.

If the file extension is .dl_ you need to expand the file on the command prompt use the expand command.

Please post the result.

I've never used the expand tool before(didn't know it existed). It's been a several months now, but I had an issue with the "missing" hal.dll on one of our Salesman's laptop. I had no clue about how to grab those files. Thanks!

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi everyone, :)

Just a note:

I've never used the expand tool before(didn't know it existed). It's been a several months now, but I had an issue with the "missing" hal.dll on one of our Salesman's laptop. I had no clue about how to grab those files. Thanks!

"Expand" is not a tool, it's a command you can use in the recovery console. If you're trying to get the file from a Windows Installation disk copied, you'd need to boot into the recovery console, then expand the compressed file from the disk to the destination location using the command line.

If you were missing hal.dll, you might want to try something like this, or try a repair install to replace that file.

Does that help?

bloopie

#8 Randy Dowling

Randy Dowling

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi everyone, :)

Just a note:
"Expand" is not a tool, it's a command you can use in the recovery console. If you're trying to get the file from a Windows Installation disk copied, you'd need to boot into the recovery console, then expand the compressed file from the disk to the destination location using the command line.

If you were missing hal.dll, you might want to try something like this, or try a repair install to replace that file.

Does that help?

bloopie

That does help. If I run across the problem again, I'll know what to do. Can you only use the expand command in recovery mode? If you can use it outside of the recovery console, is there a reason not to? I apologize if I'm getting too far off-topic.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

That does help. If I run across the problem again, I'll know what to do. Can you only use the expand command in recovery mode? If you can use it outside of the recovery console, is there a reason not to? I apologize if I'm getting too far off-topic.

The expand util is available on a normal windows installation.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Does that help?

bloopie

Hi,

The article fail to explain that you need to replace hal.dll with the correct file and not simply extract hal.dl_.
I have this old article on my HDD A Tale of 2 HALs that explains the problem.

___
Rui

#11 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi again,

SleepyDude, your link is broken. :wink: I tried to re-link it and that broke also...

Can you only use the expand command in recovery mode? If you can use it outside of the recovery console, is there a reason not to?

No, you can use the expand command from within Windows with the command prompt. But expand does only that. It decompresses a compressed file, hence "expanding it" to a designated location.

You'd then have to replace the old file with the expanded one using the "replace" command. You may have trouble replacing a file from within Windows because the file may be in use, and that's why we'd use a recovery console. :)

With hal.dll this is all moot anyway because Windows won't boot without the file to begin with. :wink:

Does that answer your question?

bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 02 November 2012 - 08:09 PM.
Added broken link point

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi again,

SleepyDude, your link is broken. :wink: I tried to re-link it and that broke also...

Hi Bloopie,

Its working fine for me!

___
Rui

#13 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

There had to be something wrong with the site yesterday. It's working for me now also.

...I tried three times to link it, and all three broke.

#14 Randy Dowling

Randy Dowling

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

No, you can use the expand command from within Windows with the command prompt. But expand does only that. It decompresses a compressed file, hence "expanding it" to a designated location.

You'd then have to replace the old file with the expanded one using the "replace" command. You may have trouble replacing a file from within Windows because the file may be in use, and that's why we'd use a recovery console.

With hal.dll this is all moot anyway because Windows won't boot without the file to begin with.

Does that answer your question?

bloopie

Both of the bolded comments were obvious when I read them. It just didn't register when I asked the question. :lol:

@SleepDude: Thanks for the link! It's very informative. I think that their webserver is having problems. I clicked it two different times with two different results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users