Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just want to record audio from the internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

You'd think it would be easy to find a program that allows you to record something like an interview that you're listening to on your computer. Well, you'd be REALLY wrong. I went to download.com and everything is so complicated - I don't want to edit anything, I don't want to be able to convert it into a different format, I don't want anything to do with videos, I just want to be able to record something that I'm listening to through the computer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop with Windows 7. For a while, RealPlayer worked maybe 60% of the time, but now won't work at all. I've tried a couple of others, Free Sound Recorder comes to mind, but they're way too complicated and above my pay grade. Admission: I'm very technologically blonde and when I see terms like "live streaming" for example, I have absolutely no idea what that means. I'm even willing to pay for something if I have to, but can't find anything that's simple enough for me to figure out how to use.

Is there anything out there that has a few REALLY SIMPLE steps, and is fairly intuitive and has directions that someone who is not at all technically-minded can understand? Is that really asking for so much?

I so sincerely appreciate any help and suggestions anyone might have. Thank you.

MissSBB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't have Windows 7 so I can't be specific. For whatever reason, Windows has never made an effort to improve basic tools. It's really difficult to find the audio settings directly and it provides no indication of the sound levels. Windows comes with a simple recorder Start menu/All programs/Accessories/Sound recorder. You can copy the shortcut to wherever is convenient. Most people seem to favour freeware Audacity but if you don't like Real Player, Audacity may seem more daunting.

In addition you will need to navigate to the audio mixer. On the recording mixer you need to enable "stereo mix" or "what u hear" depending on the audio system. This link tells you how to do that if you have not already. Once set, the recording setting should(?) stay the same for subsequent sessions.

I've made my own macro to start up the recording mixer plus a VU meter but unfortunately that would be no use to you.

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

"live streaming" ??

You mean like youtube?

I use Downloadhelper add-on for Firefox to DL Youtube type videos, mp3's, etc.

There are some situations where it won't DL certain audio/video. But for the most part works fine.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

After installation, look for the red, yellow, blue balloons icon on your Firefox toolbar.
Navigate to the website where the Audio/Video is.
Click on the arrow next to the baloons.
If your media isn't available for download, it will be grayed out.

In the Downloadhelper preferences, you can select what type of media it will detect.

It isn't perfect, but it's a start.

Hope it works for you.

There is also something called RTMPexplorer at Videohelp.com.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RTMPExplorer

Not sure if they are what your looking for.

#4 Ashs35

Ashs35

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Try WM recorder, it will automatically download videos/mp3's to your computer whilst you are streaming them on the internet.
YouTube.com/ashs35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users