Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nwiz and other issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aky13

aky13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I know just enough about PCs to get into real trouble.

My older HP PC, running XP media edition, has slowed even with use of ARO to clean up issues. I SUSPECT that I need to wipe my HD and start over, but as you all know, that is such a massive PIA, I was hoping for a quick and easy fix.

My TASK MANAGER is bloated with all kinds of crap, some of which I KNOW is not needed on a daily basis (like my TomTom updater). So I took a look at my STARTUP files. I do NOT see the TomTom updater, or the others that I know are legit but not needed, in the STARTUP list. ALSO, in the STARTUP list I found "nwiz.exe"

My questions:

1 - WHERE/HOW do I disable STARTUP of those legit programs that are not needed daily?

2 - Is nwiz a trojan or other malware or NOT? According to this site, that I came upon through a Google search, Kaspersky (which antivirus software I found unsuitable) says it IS malware. Malwarebytes does NOT report it as a problem, NOR does a current version of McAfee Antivirus Plus.

ANY guidance from knowledgable folks would be greatly appreciated!

Arthur

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

1) What is ARO?

2) Nwiz is the configuration wizard for Nvidia Desktop

3) You can use a simple utility such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Manager to manage startup apps (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Nvidia nView Wizard present in Nvidia newer graphics card drivers (2002 onward). The Nvidia nView wizard is normally run from the Control Panel and provides the end-user with a literally staggering range of "things" he can do with his Nvidia,"

You can change the Startup items in System Configuration. Go to Start> Run and type in cmd and then press enter. A black screen with white letters will open, type in msconfig and then press Enter.

Edited by dc3, 29 October 2012 - 09:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility. Permanent changes to startup processes and / or system services should not be made with msconfig, but rather with any one of a number of fine utilities designed for just that purpose (or, in the case of system services, via services.msc)

Edited by Allan, 29 October 2012 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users