Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pixelated videos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mar C

Mar C

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hello and good evening.

Recently, I went through a string of computer problems and recently resolved them (as far as I know), but that was through re-installing Windows XP. I went through the steps a few time because I was very confused about how I was supposed to be doing it, but now, I have re-installed it and eventually downloaded drivers so that I would have audio, video and networking back.

However, now that I have tried to play video files (MKV so far, at least), I've had some trouble. The videos have slight pixelation all over; mostly in the form of colors along the lines of what would be a square/pixel. I can't open MKV files in WMP still, so I used VLC like I did before the re-install. I've tried changing the (video) preferences/settings in various ways and nothing has helped, and even downloaded MKVPlayer and tried there, but it plays the same.

With streaming files, the videos play well and when I take screencaps in VLC, the image is perfectly clear and nice quality. I'm not sure what I've done or need to fix. I can only guess that maybe I've downloaded the wrong video drivers or that I don't have everything I need? I've done as much research as possible, but I have no clue about what to do and no more answers or details.

edit :

As of last night, I tried to play a different mkv file that played quite well, actually. It was still fairly pixelated on some scenes, but without the distinct colors/lines and in general looked clearer.

The other videos still play heavily pixelated and somewhat unclear, but I don't know why there'd be such a difference in how they play back. (Also, the files that I am having trouble with played very well on my computer before, whereas I have never played the new files before last tonight and today.)

Edited by Mar C, 29 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

WMP does not support MKV at all. Did you get it to play them before? I assume VLC comes with its own codecs. I installed the CCCP codec pack for playing various formats. When I open an MKV with WMP it uses the ffdshow codecs and Haali splitter that comes with CCCP and other packs. As I found out today in another post, it seems Windows Media Center does not support MPEG-2 in DVDs either. Many of the codec packs don't seem to come with xvid either.

Having commented in other posts about some of the in-built Windows tools and support that are barebones after 20 years, it's not surprising that MS pales in comparison to Apple for user friendliness.

Edited by Nanobyte, 31 October 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#3 Mar C

Mar C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I haven't tried playing MKV in WMP often before. Since I downloaded VLC, I didn't really need to download any codecs or anything.

The weird thing is, VLC is playing smaller files quite clearly (and a couple of larger files without trouble), but the really high quality MKV files have the pixelated problem.

It's not a matter of MS paling in comparison or anything. My computer played these videos beautifully before, I just don't understand why it can't do so now. I'm not sure what I'm missing or simply what has changed. It may just be that I downloaded the wrong resoruces for my card.

That's what I'm trying to figure out though. ^u^;

There's very minimal blurring and pixelation in smaller files, but in HQ stuff, the color pixelation looks funky (not sure how to capture the look either since screens come out perfectly).

Edited by Mar C, 12 November 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Are the MKV files badly fragmented? Have you gone from overlay to no overlay? If you have a PC with lots of horsepower that should not be an issue. Perhaps go through the VLC settings to see if anything rings a bell in the way of changes you made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users