Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system faild can use boot disk to get to Dos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 65Ryno65

65Ryno65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

my system says is got a file kernl.32 file that was "destroyed" All I can do is use a boot disk to get to dos i dont have windows media xp pro sp3. my somputer is a leveno t60p laptop I read in the foram that a dell full restoration disk would work on any computer as long as it was a full system restore? is this possiable as I do have one of those disks. thanks help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would not think that Dell disks...would work on a system made by a different OEM. That would be a violation of the license which Micrsoft has assigned to Dell, IMO...since such a disk would then be equal to a MS Genuine Windows disk (sold by Microsoft as a retail item).

FWIW: There was a time (prior to 2005) when Dell CDs/licenses were sold the same as MS Genuine XP disks/license...but Microsoft put an end to that era.

Dell restore/recovery disks which work on Lenovo laptops...would also be something Lenovo would be concerned about, IMO.

Could you post the source of this reference, please? It's possible that you misinterpreted/ignored the context of the wording.

FWIW: Windows has never issued an error message stating that a file has been "desroyed", to my knowledge. The wording will only indicate that a system file is either missing or corrupt/damaged, IME.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2012 - 10:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users