Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed AVG 2013, now XP hangs at KSecDD.sys

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

I did a search, didn't find anything remotely like this, so I hope I'm not repeating a solved issue. If this is in the wrong forum, please mods, move it where it belongs.

Okay, system info:

Home built box, all components less than a year old
M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X socket
AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor 3400 MHz
8 gig RAM
Seagate SATA 750 gig HDD (partitioned, C: is bootable drive)

Windows XP Professional, sp3, fully updated

Here's the history:

Yesterday I tried to boot the box and could never get onto the internet. Nothing had changed from when I shut down the evening before (that I was aware of). I checked everyone else on the network was fine, just me. The port on the router I was connected to was orange, so I checked the cable and the port on the router -- the cable was fine on a different port, and the port was fine with a different cable. So it wasn't the router.

Traced it back to my box, everything was good outside the box, so it had to be a software issue. Unloaded F-Secure 2011, and magically had access to the internet again.

Here is where my issues start. Like an idiot, rather than figure out what was wrong with F-Secure to send it off the tracks, I uninstalled it and loaded AVG 2013 antivirus. Went to install it, got a blue screen which directed me to reboot my system.

So I did, got the POST and BIOS screen, and then just a black screen. Went in search of a solution on the net using my laptop, and found this is a known issue with AVG 2013. Fortunately (I thought) AVG supplied a fix -- to boot my box off their recovery CD, then change the extensions on all AVG files in WINDOWS/system32/drivers from .sys to .bak

When I attempted to do this, their utility would not open the above folder on the C: drive so that I could do that; or rather, it would open it, but there was nothing in there even though supposedly there is over 45 meg of data in the file.

Did a little more research, tried booting into Safe Mode. No joy, boot stops at the same black screen. Did Enable Boot Logging, and that's how I found out it's hanging at the file KSecDD.sys

So. Anyone have an idea what to do to get my system back and to consign AVG 2013 to the fiery bowels of hell?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

How to Uninstall AVG 2013 from your Computer - 7 Sep 2012
Try for Safe Mode, but select Last Known Good Configuration and see if you can boot from there
There are quite a few bugs in AVG 2013 that are still being sorted out at this time -
Be sure to Fully remove any other installed Antivirus program first prior to installing a new program to prevent conflicts -

It is really dangerous to go online without an antivirus.
Without one, you are extremely likely to get infected. I can't tell you which one is the best because determining that is generally not feasible; however, I can give you my strong recommendations for programs that I have tested and that I trust. All of the following are excellent free (not free trials of) antiviruses.
Be sure to only install one.

Microsoft Security Essentials (what I currently use)
Avira AntiVir
avast!
AVG Do not use at this time -

This can be added to with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free or in paid/active versions -

#3 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, noknojon, but already tried Last Known Good Config, no joy there either. I'm seriously considering taking the drive out of the box and hooking it up to another box, to access the drivers folder so I can change those file names. Or using the various System Recovery tools out there.

Yeah, I know it's dangerous to go barebacking out there in the wilds of the net with no antivirus, but right now I'm completely dead in the water. F-Secure has served me well for many years, so I'm thinking a clean reinstall would have been sufficient.

I just want my box back, useable and happy...

Edited by wobblerlorri, 28 October 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#4 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I finally got my box fixed, and thought I'd post how I did it.

I booted my box off the XP CD, and went into the Recovery Console. Then I ran chkdsk with no switches, it found no problems. Ran it again with the /p switch, and that found some "problems". So then I ran it a third time with the /r switch to repair any damaged sectors and recover data.

It took about 45 min, but finally finished and reported no issues. I then checked the system32\drivers folder for any avg*.sys files, but found none.

Rebooted the box, and it came up normally from the HDD. Finally!! I did a search for any avg*.* files, and found about 20 or so. Checked my registry and found an AVG folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, which I deleted. Manually deleted the avg*.* files, which for some reason were all living in Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs, even a bunch of .sys files...

Rebooted, then reloaded F-Secure.

All I can figure is the failed install actually corrupted some sectors on the HDD, and it was those borked sectors as well as the registry entries pointing to a non-installed program that were keeping the box from booting.

At any rate, JUST SAY NO to AVG Free 2013. Mods, you can close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users