Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't power on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shona

Shona

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I am just needing a second opinion/confirmation regarding a desktop tower I have. It has recently gone out, like not powering on. So as a first step, I replaced the power supply in it, thinking that would be the cheaper tests to fix it. However, even with a new power supply, it is not powering on. This is an older computer and it could very likely be the motherboard, but trying to check cheaper repair alternatives first. When I push the power button, I get no response from motherboard, fans or power supply.

What are other suggestions for confirming if the motherboard has gone out? Just wanted to get another opinion before I take it apart.

Thanks for any help,
Shona Wilson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except for the power supply, CPU, and one stick of RAM. No video and no error beeps means high probability of a bad motherboard.

I would suggest replacing the entire computer instead of mix and match parts to get it back up and running. With an older system, you will undoubtedly encounter other failures down the road as the system ages.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Replacing older motherboards isn't so easy...depending on how old the system is.

The computer industry moves fast with newer, better components...not much margin for a retailer to carry older inventory items.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users