Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download anything - HELP PLEASE.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kbreeze

Kbreeze

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Every time I try to download something I now have this strange little window pop up where it wants to save it to: C:\Users\jstauffer\Downloads\

I am not jstauffer nor do I know who it is and when doing a search I can't find anything jstauffer on my computer.

I have Malwarebytes pro and did a FULL SCAN which found nothing. Additionally I have Advanced System Care 6 which also found nothing.

Can anyone help??

EDIT: Did a search on the net and it looks like this person had the same thing:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=128700.0

However it doesn't show if and how they ever resolved it.

Edited by Kbreeze, 28 October 2012 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

You could try using the Sophos Virus Removal Tool or the Eset Online Scanner

Or if you have any Anti-Virus program, you could also scan with that.

#3 Kbreeze

Kbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks but I can't download those because I can't download anything :( I did have Microsoft Essentials but had uninstalled it because I initially thought this new downloader thing was coming from that. Stupid move I know.

EDIT: Well I figured out a way to download sophos, then installed it...then it did it's updating thing and then said "The Sophos Virus Removal tool could not be started.. For more information so the log file." : /

UPDATE: Ok I just launched Sophos from the desktop icon and its scanning my system now. Not sure why it couldn't autostart? Anyhow, we'll see if it finds anything...

Edited by Kbreeze, 28 October 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks but I can't download those because I can't download anything :( I did have Microsoft Essentials but had uninstalled it because I initially thought this new downloader thing was coming from that. Stupid move I know.

EDIT: Well I figured out a way to download sophos, then installed it...then it did it's updating thing and then said "The Sophos Virus Removal tool could not be started.. For more information so the log file." : /

UPDATE: Ok I just launched Sophos from the desktop icon and its scanning my system now. Not sure why it couldn't autostart? Anyhow, we'll see if it finds anything...

If it creates a log file, be sure to post it in this thread in case there is something more serious that a moderator can help you with.

#5 Kbreeze

Kbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well I fixed it, I'm not sure what did it, but I found and uninstalled a "Softonic download manager", then went into my firefox add-ons and removed that download manager and then re-enabled it. Also the sophos did find one malware which it removed and I re-installed MSE too and did full scan which found 3 trojans that it cleaned. Again, I am not sure what in particular did it but I am ok at least for now!

Edited by Kbreeze, 28 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users