Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eborhermit

eborhermit

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 can you tell me how to find out the make of my hard drive without taking it out also where will i Find details of my motherboard :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Download Speccy from www.piriform.com/speccy and install it. It is a freeware application and will provide you with a wealth of information about your system.

The basic information you are trying to find will be listed on the summary page :)

Edited by MDTechService, 28 October 2012 - 05:34 AM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

Usually Speccy works fine.

In case it won't boot into Windows, hit the proper key on bootup (DEL, or one of the function keys) and go into the BIOS screen. Search there and the drive number will be listed.

If you can boot into the OS, it will be listed in Control Panel>System>Device Manager under disk drives.

Motherboards are tricky. Hopefully Speccy will give you a solid number to go with. A lappy can use different motherboards depending on features. Enter your tag number at Dell and you should be able to find board numbers/models.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

As far as the motherboard, Dell is your best option. Many laptop motherboards are proprietary and may not conform to a recognized motherboard.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

FWIW: Many proprietary motherboards are made by some recognized motherboard manufacturer, specifically for a given OEM.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-1150-Motherboard-Compatible/dp/B000MMG0J6

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users