Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Error Wiped Pics, Movies And Game Playability

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charack

Charack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

Hi, last week, (about thursday) my computer rebooted while I was removing programs, old games, unused media players and the like. A window had popped up asking me if I wanted to delete a .dll file that wasn't being used by any programs, I hit yes, and began to play World of Warcraft. Everything had loaded, and I was about to play, when it reboted. After it rebooted a window popped up that said my computer had recovered from a serious error. I didn't think anything of it, since it had done this at least 10 times in the week prior, and nothing bad had happened. Yet, when I looked around, my pictures( which I keep in my own folder, aptly named "pictures") were gone, and 57 episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force were missing, also from my own movie folder (again, named "Movies"). My Winamp Media Player is also missing, although there's an Icon that says Winamp on it, but when used, nothing happens (it's not even the same icon that's there when it's installed, just a regular execute file icon). Most importantly though, EVERY time I try to start up World of Warcraft, I can go through the character select screen and all of the loading fine, but when the window changes to where I can control my character, my pc reboots right before that(EVERY SINGLE TIME). does anyone know what to do, or how to do it? I can't take my pc in, because I have no warranty, so unless I get help here, I'm screwed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by Charack, 20 March 2006 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Two suggestions.
Use system restore to a point before you made these changes.
Use the WOW repair utility.
Regards.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Charack

Charack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for reply, I do appreciate it. How do i go about using those items? where on my pc is the WoW erpair utility? and how do i use my system restore successfully?

Any help is apprecitated.

#4 Charack

Charack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

I system restored, and used the WoW repair utility and I keep getting this:

The system has recovered from a serious error.

Then:

Please tell Microsoft this problem
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve
Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential and
Anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here

And when I click there, it says this:

Error signature
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFA5F455 BCP3 : EE2CA9DC
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Then at the bottom where it says view technical information about the error report, click here

When I click there, I get this:

C:\DOCUME~1\Master\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe401.dir00\Mini032206-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Master\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe401.dir00\sysdata.xml

Also, I sent the error report, and got referred to intel’s website, when I got there, I got this:

Graphics
hkcmd.exe or hccutils.dll error or system crash with Symantec* PCAnywhere*

Symptom(s):
Error: "hkcmd.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
Error: "IsDisplayValid could not be located in the dynamic link library hccutils.dll"
System boots into VGA mode after installing the graphics driver.
System gets a blue screen error or reboots when accessing Display Properties.
System gets a blue screen error or reboots when right clicking on the desktop.
System gets a blue screen error or reboots when clicking on the Intel® icon in the system tray.
Solution:
Download and install version 6.5.2 or later of the graphics drivers (EXE format). Alternatively, download the graphics drivers in ZIP format, extract the ZIP file, then run the following command line:
setup -16x800x600x60

After installing the updated drivers, you may need to switch PCAnywhere* into compatibility mode and back into accelerated mode by doing the following:
1) Start the system in Safe Mode by pressing F8 during bootup.
2) Run PCAnywhere.
3) From the "Tools" menu, choose "Application Options"
4) Go to the "Host Operation" tab
5) From the "Video mode selection" drop-down list, choose "Compatibility".
6) Reboot the system.
7) Switch back to accelerated mode.
This applies to:
Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller

So, now that I know (kind of ) all of this information, what do I do? I’ve already tried system restore and WoW repair utility. Also, I do not have the *PCAnywhere* program they speak of.

Oh, and my movies and Pictures are still missing even thought the folders for them are back

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

I am not a hardware expert, but the next logical step would be to go to your video card manufacturer's website and download and then install the latest drivers.
Perhaps another member would have other ideas.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Charack

Charack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

Well, thanks for your help anyway. I'm having trouble to get the correct driver, particularly because I don't know what the problem is exactly, well, I do, but I don't know what it is in layman's terms, microsoft says it's the driver, but now I'm having trouble with that, when I went to install it, it said that the driver had not gone through a test for that version of windows, and strongly recommended that I not install it. Also, it says that driver version 6.5.2 should be installed, but, only version 5.0 is on the site. so, now I'm kind of sitting in a boat in the middle of a lake and I have no paddle.

P.S. I really appreciate your help, and if you can still spare some time, I'd appreciate it, if it's not up your alley, may i ask that (if possible) you could steer someone towards my post who knows about it? (Sorry if that sounds ungrateful, it's not meant to, I just really want to get this fixed).

Also, once again, this will probably help me restore WoW's playability, but that's only 2 of four problems, I still need to get all of my pictures and movie files back, the system restore didn't help that much in that area (actually, all it did was restore winamp back onto my computer).

Thanks again everyone, and as always, any help is greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users