Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to prevent computer from sleeping when it is processing stuff?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

as above. my sleep timer is set to 10minutes. however, i don't expect it to sleep when it is doing important stuff - e.g. adobe/windows updates.. converting files in Lightroom etc. how do i configure that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi -
First - Who set the timer to 10 minutes as it needs to be altered to a longer time.
If your computer is in the middle of processing something, it should not be affected by Sleep Mode after 10 minutes - This includes Updates -

This mode is only for when your computer has been idle for the set time you post.
Personally only, I find 10 minutes is much too short for sending the computer into sleep or similar modes. I set both of mine for about a minimum of 1 to 2 hours

If you set it for 10 minutes, by the time you make a coffee (for example), it will be in sleep mode and need to be woken to continue working.
During this short time, you should be sure that all work is saved and no programs are left open.

I have full Antimalware scans take over 1 hour, and in this time I do not expect the computers to sleep or shut down in any way -

Thank You -
EDIT - Please read This Tutorial to customise the settings -

Edited by noknojon, 27 October 2012 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users