Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Window 8 removed touchpad drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

I upgraded my Asus K53U laptop to windows 8 and ran the refresh utilities to remove bloatware because there was an error message about missing files. the refresh cleared that up but also disabled the multi-finger gestures for the touchpad. I loved that feature!

I have downloaded the drivers for this laptop from the Asus website but they won't install.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Kim

UPDATE: Ok, I figured it out. There are no Windows 8 drivers. I had to install Windows 7 64 bit drivers. And not the Synaptics drivers that everyone says to try. My laptop touchpad is Elan something. Once I searched the Asus website for Windows 7 drivers I found them.

I love my touchpad with Windows 8! It's almost like having a touch screen. Sort of. :-)

Edited by kimr, 28 October 2012 - 08:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I upgraded my Asus K53U laptop to windows 8 and ran the refresh utilities to remove bloatware because there was an error message about missing files. the refresh cleared that up but also disabled the multi-finger gestures for the touchpad. I loved that feature!

I have downloaded the drivers for this laptop from the Asus website but they won't install.

Kim

UPDATE: Ok, I figured it out. There are no Windows 8 drivers. I had to install Windows 7 64 bit drivers. And not the Synaptics drivers that everyone says to try. My laptop touchpad is Elan something. Once I searched the Asus website for Windows 7 drivers I found them.

I love my touchpad with Windows 8! It's almost like having a touch screen. Sort of. :-)

Where the drivers you got from Asus specifically for Windows 8 - that could be the problem!!

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Kim

#4 smerffed

smerffed

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Kim

for future reference, edit the ini file in the driver package to match your OS, or run it in compatibility mode.
another way is to unzip the zipped drivers or packed .exe with winrar or 7zip. Then go to your devices in device manager and update the driver software manually.

Hope this helps prevent running into this problem later on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users