Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turned off PC in a stupid fashion; now it won't POST or turn on. Fried motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NinetoSix

NinetoSix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi,
Last week my computer (built a year ago) was turning on when I didn’t want to so I (stupidly) hit the power bar to turn it off.
From that day on, the computer would load up a BIOS screen saying “hit f1 to load default settings, f2 to continue”, but the computer was fine. Just yesterday it would not turn on/POST at all. No beeps, nothing.
I went through the checklist http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems here and similar checklists on a few other sites and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Here were the results:

• Power supply was within range of all recommended ranges
• PSU also turned on properly and powered the fan when isolated it and shorted the wires
• All cables were tested (lamp test, used another computer for other cables, tested power)
• Tried booting with video card unplugged, ram unplugged, (basically everything but CPU and PSU)
• All peripherals unplugged
• Tried another CMOS battery and also reset the CMOS

None of them resulted in the computer booting or POSTing.
What could it be? An incorrect shut down can fry the computer like that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

What do you mean by the "power bar"? Surge protector, power strip, case power button, PSU power button?

When you stripped it down was the CPU fan still coming on?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 NinetoSix

NinetoSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

What do you mean by the "power bar"? Surge protector, power strip, case power button, PSU power button?

When you stripped it down was the CPU fan still coming on?

My power bar was a surge protector.
When I stripped it down, nothing turned on. The CPU fan never turned on for any tests whatsoever. Only the PSU turned on when tested in isolation.
Is the CPU supposed to turn on, or would a faulty motherboard prevent even that?

Thanks for the reply!

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

A faulty motherboard would indeed prevent the CPU fan from functioning. When you stripped it down to the power supply and CPU, the CPU fan should have kicked in at the very least. Sounds to me like a bad motherboard.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 NinetoSix

NinetoSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

Ok thank you very much for the words of advice. I will replace my motherboard and hope that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users