Last week my computer (built a year ago) was turning on when I didn’t want to so I (stupidly) hit the power bar to turn it off.
From that day on, the computer would load up a BIOS screen saying “hit f1 to load default settings, f2 to continue”, but the computer was fine. Just yesterday it would not turn on/POST at all. No beeps, nothing.
I went through the checklist http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
here and similar checklists on a few other sites and wanted to know what you guys thought.
Here were the results:
• Power supply was within range of all recommended ranges
• PSU also turned on properly and powered the fan when isolated it and shorted the wires
• All cables were tested (lamp test, used another computer for other cables, tested power)
• Tried booting with video card unplugged, ram unplugged, (basically everything but CPU and PSU)
• All peripherals unplugged
• Tried another CMOS battery and also reset the CMOS
None of them resulted in the computer booting or POSTing.
What could it be? An incorrect shut down can fry the computer like that?