Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot Win XP Dell XLDR ATA Errror

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi,

Recently my Dell 1505 Inspiron laptop (Windows XP) stopped booting properly. It stops at a black screen with

"PBR 1...done
XLDR ATA error"

I am able to access diagnostics, and I have also been able to boot using xPUD, which I used to generate an mbr.bin file. For a few weeks before this, I had been having problems with some kind of redirection virus that would send me to random websites when I clicked on links, mostly from Google links. I scanned using AVG but found nothing. I can't think of any other events that had happened prior. I tried to attached the mbr.bin file but it said that I wasn't permitted to upload that kind of file. Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I think that you may be infected...I'm moving this topic to Am I Infected.

Louis

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Does it boot so you can scan it?

run these now?

If needed you may have to put these on a flash drive or CD.

Run RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

>>>
Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click on Change Parameters
  • Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

>>>
Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Edited by boopme, 27 October 2012 - 09:00 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Thank you for your response. I attempted to run each program from a flash drive on my computer booted with xPUD but I don't think it worked. I am unable to boot my computer in Windows as my computer doesn't even let me get to the screen to select safe mode before displaying the error mentioned above. When I tried to execute the programs in xPUD nothing happened.

I have not used xPUD before this incident, so is it possible that the programs are running and I'm missing it somehow?

thanks!

#5 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

I think I've been forgotten. If I don't receive a response in the next day or two I'm going to try to either repost on this forum, or a different website. I know you guys are really busy, so if you're still around just let me know.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hello, I was down from the hurricane that passed thru here. I have asked another to look at this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hello DreamOfShadows :)

• I will be helping with your computer problems.
  • From this point on, it is very important that you refrain from doing anything else to your computer other than what I have requested of you.
  • I do not mind if you browse the web, do basic tasks, or even test to see if the problem(s) you are experiencing are still occurring with the computer while we are working together, but do not run any tools/fixes unless I or another helper from this thread has asked you to do so.
  • Remember that you came here for help, so allow us to help you :)
  • If something does not run, make a detailed note of what problems you encountered along the way (exact error messages are preferred), but continue onto the next steps until you reach the end of my post.
  • Always do the steps they are listed in (left to right, top to bottom).
  • I prefer that you complete all the steps while you are in Normal Mode. However, I understand that sometimes this is not possible. If you are unsuccessful in getting a tool/fix to run from Normal Mode, but Safe Mode works, then use Safe Mode.
  • If you have a question about something, do not hesitate to ask.

Let's begin:

Earlier you mentioned that you were able to obtain a dump of your MBR (mbr.bin). Please upload this file here and let me know when you have done so.

Edited by thisisu, 05 November 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hello, Just letting you know I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum,where it will stay.

Thanks thisisu

#9 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

boopme: Oh my goodness, I hope you're okay after the hurricane!

Thisisu: Thank you for your help. I posted the mbr.bin file.

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

The MBR looks OK.

But one of the partitions should be set to Boot.
Currently, none are set to Boot.

Follow these instructions and we should be able to fix the problem.

Download: gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso
This is an image file, use a working computer to create a bootable GParted disc using the gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso provided.
A free program to do this is: ImgBurn
Here is a tutorial on how to create a bootable CD using ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Once you've successfully created the GParted bootable CD, insert it into the CD tray and restart the computer. Allow the computer to boot from the CD.

The first screen should look something like this:

Posted Image

Press ENTER

Next screen:

Posted Image

Press ENTER after highlighting "Don't touch keymap".

Next screen:

Posted Image

Choose your language and press ENTER. English is default [33]

Now you should be at the main portion of GParted where it shows your partition information.

Is boot next to your operating system (OS) drive? According to the log you provided, your OS drive should be the 32.66 GiB sized partition. See below:

Posted Image

If boot is not next to your OS drive under Flags, right-mouse click the OS drive while in Gparted and select Manage Flags
In the menu that pops up, place a checkmark in boot like the picture below:

Posted Image

Now press the Close button to save these changes.

Now double-click the Posted Image button.

You should see a small pop up like this:

Posted Image

Choose Reboot and then press OK.

Now restart he computer while the GParted CD is removed from the CD tray.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by thisisu, 07 November 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#11 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

The program seemed to run fine. I noticed a small yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to my 32.66 partition. I clicked info and it said:

"Error: This software has detected that the disk has at least 1 bad sector."

I continued with the instructions. Upon reboot I got to the same point as I had been able to originally (the black screen), but the error message was slightly different. It initially just said "2 Boot". Since nothing was happening, I hit enter. Then this message displayed underneath:

"No bootable devices
[XLDR] ATA error"

Man, I really hope my hard drive isn't fried <_<

Edited by DreamOfShadows, 08 November 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#12 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Try this:

Reboot the computer using your GParted CD.
Once in GParted, highlight your 32.66 GiB partition again and right-mouse click on it.
In the sub-menu that appears, click Check
Now click the Apply button.
Click Apply once again to confirm.
Let me know if the operation completed successfully or not.

#13 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic will be closed.

If you need the topic re-opened, private message me or any moderator to re-open the thread.

#14 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

The thread has been reopened.

#15 DreamOfShadows

DreamOfShadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members