Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XPPRO will not shut down

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am running dual boot XPPro and Win7Pro. Win7 boots and shuts down correctly. XP takes an inordinate amount of time to boot and doesn't shut down in 30 minutes, I need to either press the power button or reset button to shutdown and restart. Additionally I have no sound and can't get sound to show up trying any of my know tricks like unintall sound drivers and reinstall and Outlook 2003 doesn't shut down clean, I get an error saying there is an error with outlook and it must shut down, after I presses the x to close,do you want to send error report.
below is the minitoolbox log for the hardware

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 37%
Total physical RAM: 3070.73 MB
Available physical RAM: 1906.68 MB
Total Pagefile: 4960 MB
Available Pagefile: 3794.53 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1996.75 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

2 Drive c: (SG-80GB-1-C) (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:8.49 GB) NTFS
3 Drive d: (SG-160GB-1-D) (Fixed) (Total:99.04 GB) (Free:2.61 GB) NTFS 1st partition of this drive
4 Drive e: (WD-120GB-1-E) (Fixed) (Total:111.79 GB) (Free:43.42 GB) NTFS
5 Drive f: (SG-160GB-2-F) (Fixed) (Total:50.01 GB) (Free:24.75 GB) NTFS 2nd partition of the d: Drive
===============================================================================

Malware & viruses have bee examined in the Security forum (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic472566.html)in addition to the following I also ran Minitoolbox and Eset. nothing fixed the issue.
I have run Adaware, spybot, and Malwarebytes & HiJackThis (evaluated on hijackthis.de)removed 3 items none of which were tagged as malware. Mbytes found a trojan on a quick scan, supposedly cleaned it, on a full scan the program terminates, with the sorry malwarebytes needs to shut down. I am running Avast Free now (4:12 as of now, nothing found so far, 43% done working on the 3 of 4 drives (3 actual, 1 virtual). Avast finished with no problems found.

Perhaps I should also explain, at the end of August, I tried to install a new motherboard, CPU and graphics card, unfortunately it would not allow me to have all my hard drives, and they are all intertwined, most programs are on drive d:. Anyway I had to reinstall my old configuration, current configuration, reinstall both windows XP and 7, 7 behaved fairly well, XP did not.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 27 October 2012 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

<<...most programs are on drive d:.>>

What partition is Win XP installed on?

You did a clean install of XP...before installing Win 7?

What partition is Win 7 on?

Better yet...post a screenshot from Disk Management of the XP install, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Have you run chkdsk /r and diagnostics...on any of these partitions to check the status of the files and the hard drive?

Louis

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I will anticipate what you want and respond accordingly.

Most, not all, separately installed programs, internet or from disk, were installed on D:.

XP is installed at C:\WINXP.

I installed Win 7 about a year and a half ago, I do not believe I did a clean install.

Win7 is on F: (second partition of D:.

I will provide this next reply, Avast found 4 errors, seemingly from one file "Process 2864 sbamsvc.exe", something about memory, I am unable to get to irview, or "mycomputer". I am shutting down.

I did do a "chkdsk /r" from the properties menu. I am not sure what you mean by diagnostics. I did run SeaTools for windows on C: & D: & WD DataLifeGuard on E:

D:/F: is an IDE drive listed as Primary on the Secondary IDE feed.
E: is an IDE drive listed as secondary on the Secondary IDE feed.
C: is a SATA drive

Let me give you a synopsis of what occurred.

I was running dual boot XP SP3 on drives c: & D: having the usual XP issues, (Trying to not be down)
About 18 months ago, I installed Win 7, on drive f: (very smalll, 25GB), quickly realized that many of my programs would not run correctly most notably MS Office Outlook 2003.

Continued using XP primarily, 90% of the time.

Using Bleeping computer, I received instruction on how to change the partition size of D-F drive so now it is ~ 110GB-50GB,
this past August a friend gave me a used (his) ASUS Striker Extreme MB and I installed it replacing my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB, along with my video card.

I did not realize that I couldn't use all of my drives so I left out Drive E, which does contain some of my programs, Especially for Win 7,
he and I tried for 2 days to get the system to run, of course neither Win 7 nor XP would run, finally did get Win 7, after doing a repair on it, but limped badly, something happened, not sure what, but the new video card stopped working, blank, black screen, no video at all, my friend took the card home, put it into an old machine of his and it worked.

Put my old MB back in and it took me a couple of days to get it running, almost, again, I did several repair installs on XP, Win 7 was easy, did a reinstall, it realized one was already there and just fixed to start.

The results of that, is I had no sound, spent many hours troubleshooting this to no avail. Last week, XP stopped shutting down, about the same time each time I closed MS Office Outlook 2003 it would close or seemed to I than received a popup that the program needed to close, sorry for the inconvenience, do you want to debug or send to MS. That is where we are now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

General suggestion: If you use system restore, try to go back to the date when everything worked well.

Well...I can't understand what happened...but i can tell you what should have happened.

First...whoever told you that you "could not use all your drives" was wrong, unless you had a malware situation. Windows has no limit on number of drives or partitions which can be recognized and used. A hard drive can have up to 4 installs of Windows on it, assuming that space is provided.

To multiboot...the general wisdom is install oldest O/S first. That means that XP should have been clean installed first, with the installation of Win 7 after that. The reason for this is that the Win 7 boot files will override the XP boot files and installing XP after Win 7 becomes problematical.

Other partitions...storage partitions...are of no importance when it comes to installing Windows.

Since you don't mention why you chose this convoluted (IMO) manner of doing things, I won't ask about it any more.

Info On SBAMSvc.exe

There's no way that I can speculate on what problems may be caused by your time/date discrepancy...but, if it were me, I'd proceed in the following manner (after saving valued data files from all partions existing on the drive upon which I would install XP and Win 7).

a. Replace the current CMOS battery.
b. Reinstall XP (clean install).
c. Reinstall Win 7 (clean install)

Others here may have a better idea of what has taken place...and better suggestions. I suggest that you await such.

Louis

#5 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for your help.

This is the log from Avast this morning:
* avast! Scan Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Scan name: Sunday-Select Scan
* Started on: Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:00:01 AM
* VPS: 121027-1, 10/27/2012

Disk 0 Master Boot Record [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
Process 1208 [csrss.exe], memory block 0x0000000000000000, block size 655360 [E] The system cannot find the file specified (2)
Process 2864 [sbamsvc.exe], memory block 0x0000000002010000, block size 6352896 [L] Win95:CIH-J (0)
Process 2864 [sbamsvc.exe], memory block 0x0000000002630000, block size 585728 [L] Win32:Nimda-O [Drp] (0)
Process 2864 [sbamsvc.exe], memory block 0x0000000002700000, block size 2097152 [L] INF:AutoRun-B [Trj] (0)
Process 2864 [sbamsvc.exe], memory block 0x0000000002900000, block size 4194304 [L] Win32:Virut (0)
C:\pagefile.sys [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
D:\Outlook\Outlook.pst [E] The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)
E:\ [E] Skipped due to exclusions settings. (42019)
F:\ [E] Skipped due to exclusions settings. (42019)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\algo.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswcmnbs.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswcmnis.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswcmnos.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswengin.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswfidb.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswrep.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
d:\program files\utils\system\alwil software\defs\12102700\aswscan.dll [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
Infected files: 4
Total files: 625405
Total folders: 50141
Total size: 178.0 GB

* Scan stopped: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:46:03 AM
* Run-time was 8 hour(s), 46 minute(s), 2 second(s)

The last time that everything worked well was 2 months ago, no able to go back that far with System restore, I tired.

I could not use all my drive due to the limitation of the mother board, only 1 ide connector and 4 sata connectors.

I am not sure Where your multiboot comments are coming from. I have had XP on my system for about 10 years, reinstalled many times some due to issues like this, some due to rebuilding my desktop, i.e. new MB, new drives, new memory, etc.

I had & do have XP on drive c:\WinXP, about 18 months ago I installed Win 7 on drive F:. I am not sure what a clean install is.

Each time I have to "repair" XP, usually by using the last repair on the installation disk, I must re-install Win 7. It obviously does not do a complete re-install of Win 7 as it only take about 5 minutes. I have done that about 3 times.

I do not like re-installing XP because it is a pain, MS Office and other programs, especially MS ones, must be re-installed and with some like Outlook, you loose your contacts and email addresses, calendar & old emails. Adobe dreamweaver is the same, you must start over.

My convoluted way stems from several things, first I had two identical 80GB drives setup in a raid configuration, one went south, took some time to get the system to work using only one drive as C:. I already had set another XP boot on drive d: used that to fix the issues and try to keep going. My thinking was, after getting one of the raid drives separated and stand alone, to set C: as the OS drive D: as the data drive and the Outlook pst file repository, E: as local backup & website file repository, F: was just a temporary place.

I just replaced the CMOS battery 2 monyhs ago my system clock is right on. IMO means what?

Attached is the Disk Management jpg:

Attached File  Disk Management-20121028.jpg   128.97KB   5 downloads
======================================================
I will wait for help, thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Your XP problems probably stem from the fact that you do not have enough free space on C:.

The reoommended minimum is around 15% of total partition size...your Disk Management graphic does not reflect that minimum.

I suggest that you download/run Temp File Cleaner by Oldtimer . Please read the instructions and follow same.

I further suggest that you move at least 10GB of the files currently in My Video, My Music, My Documents...to another partition. Video files are the largest, it makes no sense to have them on the same partition as Windows...nothing is gained by it.

For that matter, it makes no sense to have anything other than Windows, critical updates to Windows, and installed programs on the Windows partition. Microsoft's convention of creating the My Docs/Music/Video, etc. set of folders...came at a time when MS thought it was doing users a favor by giving them a central place for such. That came in the days when many users generally only had 1 partition on a very small (by today's standards) hard drive. That era is over.

I suggest the 120GB hard drive as the future home of such files.

Once that is done...try running the chkdsk /r command on C:.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot...the chkdsk /r will run and then the sysstem will boot into Windows.

Then...let us know how the system behaves.

Louis

#7 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I will try those options, thanks.
But first, I would like to try moving some of my files to my external drive for safe keeping, it is a 2TB drive, which when on and connected will not allow XP to start, hangs at POST.

BTW I have very few if any files in My Docs/Music/Video, etc. That is what I used D: for.

#8 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Was able to get both C: & D: freed some. ran chkdsk /r on c, found not issues.
New computer management image below.
Attached File  20121030-Comp-MGT.jpg   125.01KB   1 downloads

Not able to tell yet how things are running. I will have some issues because I moved some programs to D:.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 30 October 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#9 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I was able to resolve the start up issue by using msconfig and selecting "Diagnostic Startup" finding that the startup issue went away, I then added system.ini, and wind.ini, back in, then when I added system services back in the startup issue resurfaced. I then removed about 12 services that I didn't recognize and the startup issue went away again. I have not taken the time to narrow the culprit to the actual service that is causing the issue.

I still have no sound. I did get a message when I tried to start one program that said I did not have any sound equipment attached. my sound in on my MB. I don't know.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#11 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Louis see below:

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 10-11-2012 02
Ran by John (administrator) on 16-11-2012 at 14:40:44
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (11/16/2012 10:24:28 AM) (Source: MatSvc) (User: )
Description: The scheduled MATS task encountered a failure when collecting configuration data. hr=0x80070422

Error: (11/16/2012 10:23:38 AM) (Source: MatSvc) (User: )
Description: The scheduled MATS task encountered a failure when collecting configuration data. hr=0x80070422

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:24 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/P & J COMCAST/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:24 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/P & J COMCAST/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:23 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Error: (11/15/2012 06:05:19 PM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Error: (11/15/2012 06:05:19 PM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Error: (11/15/2012 00:40:04 PM) (Source: MatSvc) (User: )

Error: (11/15/2012 00:37:22 PM) (Source: MatSvc) (User: )

Error: (11/15/2012 11:43:16 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service) (User: )
Description: The entry <F:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD\89D436B0F3E078070B369CB26E021D39\CBSHANDLER> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

System errors:
=============
Error: (11/16/2012 01:47:00 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: DCOM got error "%%1058" attempting to start the service MatSvc with arguments ""
in order to run the server:
{8843B4A2-A3CB-4CB9-9CCE-F443F641009F}

Error: (11/16/2012 10:24:28 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: DCOM got error "%%1058" attempting to start the service MatSvc with arguments ""
{109DB0ED-7C89-416B-AC66-6D0323941464}

Error: (11/16/2012 10:23:38 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/16/2012 09:47:00 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/16/2012 05:47:00 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/16/2012 01:47:00 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/15/2012 09:47:00 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/15/2012 05:47:00 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/15/2012 01:47:00 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (11/15/2012 00:40:04 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (11/16/2012 10:24:28 AM) (Source: MatSvc)(User: )
Description: hr=0x80070422

Error: (11/16/2012 10:23:38 AM) (Source: MatSvc)(User: )

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:24 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )
Description: Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/P & J COMCAST/????????????????????????

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:24 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )

Details:
MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/P & J COMCAST/????????????????????????

Error: (11/16/2012 10:14:23 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )

Details:
MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/INBOX/????????????????????????

Error: (11/15/2012 06:05:19 PM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )

Details:
MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????

Error: (11/15/2012 06:05:19 PM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )

Details:
MAPI://{S-1-5-21-343818398-2025429265-842925246-1003}/JOHNS ON D-OUTLOOK($B9782BB5)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????

Error: (11/15/2012 00:40:04 PM) (Source: MatSvc)(User: )

Error: (11/15/2012 00:37:22 PM) (Source: MatSvc)(User: )

Error: (11/15/2012 11:43:16 AM) (Source: Windows Search Service)(User: )

Details:
F:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD\89D436B0F3E078070B369CB26E021D39\CBSHANDLER

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

µTorrent (Version: 3.1.3)
ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint (Version: 9.00.595.5857)
Ad-Aware Antivirus (Version: 10.2.21.3698)
Ad-Aware Browsing Protection (Version: 0.9.0.2)
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional (Version: 006.000.000)
Adobe AIR (Version: 3.5.0.600)
Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat and Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.2.202.235)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (Version: 11.5.502.110)
Adobe Illustrator 10 (Version: 10)
Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (Version: 7.0)
Adobe Reader XI (Version: 11.0.00)
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6 (Version: 11.6.5.635)
Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 (Version: 3.0)
Anti-phishing Domain Advisor (Version: 1.1.0.1)
Apple Application Support (Version: 2.3)
Apple Mobile Device Support (Version: 6.0.0.59)
Apple Software Update (Version: 2.1.3.127)
ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5
AsusUpdate
ATI Display Driver (Version: 8.231-060221a1-030895C-ATI)
Audacity 2.0
avast! Free Antivirus (Version: 7.0.1474.0)
Avery Wizard 3.1 (Version: 3.1.5)
Belarc Advisor 8.3 (Version: 8.3.0.0)
Bonjour (Version: 3.0.0.10)
CCleaner (Version: 3.24)
ColdFusion MX (Version: 6.0.0.0)
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system (Version: 12.0.6612.1000)
Defraggler (Version: 2.09)
DesignPro 5.0 Limited Edition (Version: 5.2.1201)
DirectX 9 Runtime (Version: 1.00.0000)
Dropbox (Version: 1.4.7)
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 5.0 (Version: 5.0)
ESET Online Scanner v3
Everything 1.2.1.371
Foxit Creator (Version: 3,0,2,0506)
Foxit Reader (Version: 4.3.1.323)
Free Audio Converter 4.3.2
Free Audio Editor
Google Apps (Version: 1.2.279.2381)
Google Calendar Sync
Google Chrome (Version: 22.0.1229.94)
Google Earth (Version: 6.1.0.5001)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.123)
Google Updater (Version: 2.4.2432.1652)
GoToMeeting 5.3.0.1010 (Version: 5.3.0.1010)
HiDownloadPlatinum
HP Photo Printing Software
iDevice Manager (Version: 1.6.0.0)
Inkjet Printer/Scanner Extended Survey Program
Intel® LAN Adapters SNMP Agent (Version: 1.00.0000)
Intel® PRO Network Adapters and Drivers
Intel® PROSet (Version: 6.05.2001)
iPhone Explorer (Version: 0.9.26.1)
IrfanView (remove only) (Version: 4.32)
iTunes (Version: 10.7.0.21)
Jacquie Lawson Alpine Advent Calendar (Version: 1.0.2)
Japanese Fonts Support For Adobe Reader X (Version: 10.0.0)
Java 7 Update 9 (Version: 7.0.90)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.6.0)
JavaFX 2.1.1 (Version: 2.1.1)
Junk Mail filter update (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Lexmark S410 Series Uninstaller
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX (Version: 6.0)
Macromedia Extension Manager (Version: 1.5)
Macromedia Fireworks MX (Version: 6)
Macromedia Flash MX (Version: 6)
Macromedia FreeHand 10 (Version: 10)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.65.1.1000 (Version: 1.65.1.1000)
MegaCloud (Version: 0.2.7.3560)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version: 1.1.4322)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656370)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2698023)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 2.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 3.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Version: 3.5.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft Application Error Reporting (Version: 12.0.6012.5000)
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.2 (Version: 2.2.2170)
Microsoft Choice Guard (Version: 2.0.48.0)
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP (Version: 1)
Microsoft Fix it Center (Version: 1.0.0100)
Microsoft Lync 2010 (Version: 4.0.7577.4356)
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (Version: 14.0.5130.5003)
Microsoft Office Live Add-in 1.5 (Version: 2.0.4024.1)
Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (Version: 14.0.5139.5001)
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (Version: 11.0.8173.0)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.10411.0)
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU] (Version: 3.1.0000)
Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) (Version: 1.0.1215.0)
Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86) (Version: 1.0.1215.0)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.59193)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022 (Version: 9.0.21022)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30411 (Version: 9.0.30411)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319 (Version: 10.0.30319)
MobileMe Control Panel (Version: 3.1.8.0)
MotoHelper 2.0.53 Driver 5.2.0 (Version: 2.0.53)
MotoHelper MergeModules (Version: 1.2.0)
Motorola Mobile Drivers Installation 5.2.0 (Version: 5.2.0)
Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2 (x86 en-US) (Version: 16.0.2)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 16.0.2)
Mozilla Thunderbird (3.1.10) (Version: 3.1.10 (en-US))
Mozilla Thunderbird 12.0.1 (x86 en-US) (Version: 12.0.1)
MSVCRT (Version: 14.0.1468.721)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
MyDefrag v4.3.1 (Version: 4.0.0.0)
MyHeritage Family Tree Builder (Version: 6.0.0.5634)
Nero PhotoShow Express (Version: 3.0)
Nero7 Ultra Edition (Version: 7.00.0574)
NirSoft NK2Edit
nLite 1.4.9.1 (Version: 1.4.9.1)
Notepad++ (Version: 6.1.5)
NVIDIA Drivers
OpenOffice.org 3.4 (Version: 3.4.9590)
Picasa 3 (Version: 3.8)
PRTG Network Monitor (Version: 9)
QuickTime (Version: 7.73.80.64)
Roxio Burn (Version: 1.6)
Roxio CinePlayer (Version: 5.6)
Roxio CinePlayer Decoder Pack (Version: 4.3.0)
Roxio Creator 2011 Content (Version: 13.0.098)
Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition (Version: 1.3.166)
Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition (Version: 13.0)
Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition (Version: 6.0.0)
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD (Version: 2.0.128)
Roxio PhotoShow (Version: 6.0)
Roxio Streamer (Version: 1.00.0000)
Roxio Streamer Desktop Applications (Version: 1.4.2)
Roxio Video Capture USB (Version: 1.22.0000)
Safari (Version: 5.34.57.2)
Seagate DiscWizard (Version: 13.0.14387)
Seagate File Recovery for Windows 2.0 (Version: 2.0.7631)
SeaTools for Windows (Version: 1.2.0.6)
Segoe UI (Version: 14.0.4327.805)
Skype™ 5.9 (Version: 5.9.115)
SlimComputer (Version: 1.3.18283)
Smart Defrag 2 (Version: 2.6)
SmartSound Common Data (Version: 1.1.0)
SmartSound Quicktracks 5 (Version: 5.1.7)
SoundMAX
SpywareBlaster 4.4 (Version: 4.4.0)
swMSM (Version: 12.0.0.1)
SyncBack
TeamViewer 7 (Version: 7.0.15723)
ToolkitCMA
Tweak UI
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2473228) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2632503) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2492386) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2661254-v2) (Version: 2)
Update for Windows XP (KB2718704) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2736233) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB961503) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (Version: 1)
VideoFileDownload (Version: 1.0)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - (v9.0.30729) (Version: 9.0.30729)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - v9.0.30729.01 (Version: 9.0.30729.01)
WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523)
Winamp (Version: 5.623 )
Winamp Detector Plug-in (Version: 1.0.0.1)
Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) (Version: 1.9.0040.0)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Version: 20090308.140743)
Windows Live Call (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Communications Platform (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Family Safety (Version: 14.0.8118.427)
Windows Live Mail (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Messenger (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Photo Gallery (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant (Version: 5.000.818.5)
Windows Live Sync (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Upload Tool (Version: 14.0.8014.1029)
Windows Live Writer (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Management Framework Core
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
WinPcap 4.1.1 (Version: 4.1.0.1753)
XnView 1.98.8 (Version: 1.98.8)
Yahoo! Detect
YouTube Downloader 3.5
Zint (Version: 2.4.3.0)

Percentage of memory in use: 33%
Available physical RAM: 2052.91 MB
Available Pagefile: 4057.74 MB
Available Virtual: 1992.49 MB

2 Drive c: (SG-80GB-1-C) (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:6.54 GB) NTFS
3 Drive d: (SG-160GB-1-D) (Fixed) (Total:99.04 GB) (Free:2.36 GB) NTFS
4 Drive e: (WD-120GB-1-E) (Fixed) (Total:111.79 GB) (Free:42.94 GB) NTFS
5 Drive f: (SG-160GB-2-F) (Fixed) (Total:50.01 GB) (Free:24.27 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\DESKTOP

Admin Administrator ASPNET
Guest HelpAssistant IUSR_DESKTOP
IWAM_DESKTOP John Onjay
SUPPORT_388945a0

**** End of log ****

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aXa8Xo8kyFr7Njah07Y1jDO

#12 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

No more news?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

2 Drive c: (SG-80GB-1-C) (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:6.54 GB) NTFS

That doesn't appear to be 15% partition space free to my eyes. You need to correct this before posting any reply.

If you have Search 4.0 installed...please uninstall it.

If you have indexing enabled, please disable it, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899869 .

Louis

#14 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 10-11-2012 02
Ran by John (administrator) on 21-11-2012 at 10:00:01
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Percentage of memory in use: 32%
Available physical RAM: 2064.35 MB
Available Pagefile: 4087.04 MB
Available Virtual: 1996.63 MB

2 Drive c: (SG-80GB-1-C) (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:11.94 GB) NTFS
3 Drive d: (SG-160GB-1-D) (Fixed) (Total:99.04 GB) (Free:33.11 GB) NTFS
4 Drive e: (WD-120GB-1-E) (Fixed) (Total:111.79 GB) (Free:38.55 GB) NTFS
5 Drive f: (SG-160GB-2-F) (Fixed) (Total:50.01 GB) (Free:24.27 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\DESKTOP

Admin Administrator ASPNET
Guest HelpAssistant IUSR_DESKTOP
IWAM_DESKTOP John Onjay
SUPPORT_388945a0

**** End of log ****

I did not find search any edition to uninstall listed by Add Remove Pro. I do have a program called Search Everything installed if that is what you were referencing.

I believe that I disabled indexing. The direction in the link you provided was not appropriate to my system. I had to actually go into Control Panel and change the indexing locations to none via unchecking the boxes. C: and F: were no listed but I was able to access them and disable them also, I think.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 21 November 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

<<I did not find search any edition to uninstall listed by Add Remove Pro. I do have a program called Search Everything installed if that is what you were referencing.>>

The errors re Windows Search Service...are directly related to indexing, which is why I suggest turning it off.

The Everything program does not generate a service...I have it running on my systems and I reflect no Windows Search Service.

The log data that you submitted...is incomplete, there is no data reflected re Event Viewer errors. Please rerun and post.

You can use the following tool...to find out just what is taking up space on your Windows partition. It would take an excessive number of programs to take up as much real estate on C: as you evidence.

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

Louis

You might also run the chkdsk /r command for general file maintenance purposes. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2012 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users