Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manradio

manradio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

hello everyone

I am a newbie to this site.......so ....i hope you can all help with this nasty little problem....

my daughters laptop has a 120 GByte hard drive which is full...or at least, the preferences reports that its full ! so on further investigation it turns out that a folder called Users is reporting that it is 120 Gbyte big....which is impossible....i have copied the content to a memory stick so i can delete the file/folder and then start again ........i cant delte the file/folder.....i have changed permissions and even tried in CMD to rmdir to no avail....so how can i get rid of this file ? and if anyone has come accross this before how come the file is reporting its 120 Gbytes big?

in anticipation ...Thnk you all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

Where is the Users folder located?

If the folder is at C:\Users then its legit.
The users folder is used by windows to stores the settings, files, etc for every user created on the machine, inside this folder you should see sub-folders corresponding to each user.

If you want to free some space, download TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer save the file to the Desktop
- save your work and close all the programs
- start TFC and let it run
Note: When TFC is running you may lose the desktop and icons, but they will return on reboot.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 manradio

manradio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Post Preview

hi Sleepy dude
thanks for your reply...... still think that a folder cant be 120 gigabyte when its empty...the one on this computer is 5.6 gigabyte full with all its files in...the Users folder i am talking about is in the root and is used by windows to store downloaded stuff etc... so i think its a virus that has changed its size...i have used norton to scan the hard drive but it reports all ok.....so how do i delet this file ? I own the file and have enabled all the permissions to no avail i have tried several downloads of the internet the say they will delete anything? I am stuck dont know what to do next aprt from formatting the c drive which i dont want to do....my daughter will lose a lot.... cant even bach it up because it will take 120 gigabyte of dvds....so frustrating

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

Please download Treesize Free
- extract TreeSizeFree.zip to any folder
- right click TreeSizeFree and choose Run as Administrator
- click the first active button on the program tool bar (Select Folder for Scanning)
- expand My Computer and select drive C:
- let the program scan then take a screenshot and attach the image to your next reply

Did you run the TFC tool?

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 October 2012 - 04:44 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users