A few weeks ago, with your help, I removed a Trojan rootkit virus from my machine. Reference this thread:
The machine has been functioning fine until two days ago. I ran Malwarebytes on a routine search and quarantined about 11 items, a few of which were labelled 'Trojan.' After removing the items I restarted the machine. However, the machine failed to start Windows and immediately went into Startup Repair.
Since then I've been in a do-loop that goes like this:
1. Startup repair runs
2. Startup repair indicates it cannot repair the issue
3. Gives me advanced options
4. I select System Restore and choose any of about 6 possible restore points
5. If I choose one of the three most recent restore points, it runs through the process and tells me its restored, but when I restart it goes back to 1).
6. If I choose any of the older restore points, it indicates there was an error attempting to restore, and I have to go back to 1)
Also, the machine will not start in Safe Mode. When I try that it immediately goes to startup repair.
There are other advanced options. I cannot recover a system image because I've never created one. Windows Memory Diagnostic comes up clean.
Since this occurred after a Malwarebytes item removal procedure I think it might be virus related.