Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista wont load

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 russisgood

russisgood

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Using a Sony Vio desktop and running Vista 32 bit. The machine will not boot and I don't have the original vista or recovery disk. The error I get is
Windows roor system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Russ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hello russisgood,

(1. ) What is the model number of your Sony Vaio?

(2. ) Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration ? If not:

• Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Arrow down to Last Known Good Configuration and press <Enter>. Reboot.
  • Success? If not, then continue below.
(3. ) Have Windows attempt to repair computer startup problems:

• Please restart your computer.
  • As the computer begins to start, continually tap the F8 key until you enter the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • Select Repair Your Computer and press <Enter>.
  • On the next screens, enter Language/keyboard -> Next, then select your Account.
    • You may have to arrow down beneath Administrator to find your logon account.
  • Enter your password if any.
  • When the System Recovery Options menu becomes visible, select Startup Repair.
    • This repair will proceed automatically, may ask you for input, and may require a reboot. If it reports that it is unable to fix the problem, it is advisable to re-run the Startup Repair for a total of three times without success before stopping.

Please let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

It's a sony Vio all in one - I tried all the steps and still get the system32\hal.dll error

It's a sony Vio all in one - I tried all the steps and still get the system32\hal.dll error

#4 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

Please try the following:

• Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Select keyboard/language, then press Next.
  • Select your User account.
    • Note: Administrator will show by default.
    • Use the down arrow to find your logon account and enter your password, if any.
  • Click OK and you will see the System Recovery Options Menu.
  • Next, click on Command Prompt.
  • At the X:\Windows\System32>, type: bootsect /nt60 sys then press <Enter>.
    • (Note the space after bootsect and after /nt60 )
    • You should see a message: Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.
  • Type: exit to leave the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

If you still receive the same Hal.dll message after reboot, follow the procedure above.

• At the X:\Windows\System32>, type: bootsect /nt60 sys all
  • (Note the space after bootsect, after /nt60, and after sys)

Regards,
Brooks

#6 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hello Artrooks-

I tried that- here's what happens:

First I only get X:\sources> at the commnad prompt then I do get the "Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes" After I restart I get the same system32\ hal.dll message. The same thing happens after I try bootsect /nt60 sys all" as well.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

Let's run a test on your hard drive.

• Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.

Here is a good reference: Seatools for DOS tutorial.
  • If you don't have software burn an "Iso" image or if you don't now how to then:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Your hard drive(s) should be listed in the Drives List box.
    • If SeaTools does NOT recognize your hard drive, then let us know.
  • If you have more than one drive, test them both, starting with the system drive first.
  • Highlight your system drive within the Drive List.
  • From the top menu, click on Basic Tests and run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If bad blocks are found during a Long test, a prompt will ask how to proceed.
    • Because there is a chance of some data loss with the repair, select Skip This One and All Remaining, unless you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi-

I followed the test and it did find the hard drive. No reported errors..

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

In case corrupted files exit, let's attempt a Recovery Environment Check Disk and System File Check:

• Select keyboard/language, then press Next.
  • Select your User account.
  • Note: Administrator will show by default.
  • Use the down arrow to find your logon account and enter your password, if any.
  • Click OK and you should see the System Recovery Options Menu.
  • Please note that under Choose a recovery tool it will show the drive letter of your operating system.
  • Posted Image
  • IMPORTANT: Your operating system drive may NOT be C:. If it is NOT, then substitute the correct letter in the commands that follow.
  • Click on Command Prompt.
  • Next, type: chkdsk C: /R then press <Enter>.
    • (Note the space after chkdsk and after the value for C: )
    • If your Operating system drive isn't C:, please make that change.
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should NOT be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented.
    • If errors were found and corrected, please run the chkdsk C: /R command once more.
    • If no errors are reported, then please continue below.
  • Next, at the X:\Windows\System32> type: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows and press <Enter>.
    • Please note the spaces in the command (After sfc, after /scannow, and after /offbootdir=C:\)
    • Substitute your system drive letter for the C: value.
    • If SFC doesn't find any "integrity violations," you can exit.
    • If SFC reports that it found and corrected "integrity violations" or found but couldn't correct "integrity violations," please run it once more.
    • Type: exit to leave the DOS box
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Same error- I got so aggravated I did a new XP install- It seemed to work and the error is gone so it will boot up. But now, I can't access the internet any thoughts?

Regards,
Russ

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

russisgood,

I just need some clarification. Your Sony Viao All in One was running Vista 32 bit as reported in your first post. Why did you re-install XP?

The Sony can be recovered to the operating system that it shipped with via a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I got aggravated with the errors that's why I loaded XP- we tried to fix and reinstall and that didn't work-

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I understand your frustration.

I guess my question is why did you install the XP operating system on a computer that was running Windows Vista?

Some people down grade from Vista to XP because they don't like Vista and that's fine. The drivers for the hardware (i.e network card) are going to be different for each operating system.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 russisgood

russisgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Just because that's all I had available- I prefer Vista but as u know - we had no success in getting that to work-

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hello,

You might have been able to re-install Vista via the hidden hard drive partition; however, now that XP has been installed, the HP Master Boot Record (MBR) has been overwritten. The F10 key (for system recovery) at start-up probably won't work anymore. You can purchase HP installation disks from HP if you failed to make them when you first got the computer.

(1. ) You will need to obtain the Windows XP network card drivers for your Sony Vaio by going to the Sony website and entering your computer model number. You will need to transfer these to a USB flash drive to install on the Vaio without internet access.

(2. ) Windows Update does NOT work on a computer that doesn't have Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed.
  • On a computer with internet access, download Internet Explorer 8.0 from here (download link at top right).
  • Next, determine what service packs are installed on your Windows XP installation:
    • Click Start and right mouse click on on My Computer icon on Desktop or My Computer in the Start Menu.
    • Click Properties. On the General tab under System, it will report what service pack is installed.
    • If no service packs are listed, then you don't have any installed.
    • You must have at least Service Pack 1 installed before you can install SP3. You do not need SP2 if you have SP1a installed. If no Service Packs, try SP2, then SP3.
  • You can download SP2 from here.
  • You can download SP3 from here.
  • Transfer the files to a flash drive.
    • First, install IE 8.0 on the Vaio.
    • Second, install Service packs as necessary.
    • Finally, use Windows Update on the Vaio to download all remaining updates.

Note: I may lose power as I am on the Northeast Coast and Sandy is rapidly approaching.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users