Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what this is!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Carmon

Carmon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Have a system that this past March I totally wiped clean with new install, while reinstalling this system I gave the lady another system to use from another department. Problem solved.

Two days ago this same lady's system did a System Memory Dump, I tended to her system and noticed as well the McAfee would not connect and update. (some problems with this nothing unusual) I uninstalled McAfee reinstalled and scanned found nothing. Next day was told she as well could not log onto any of her secure sites banks, college, FB etc..
System restore would not load in regular or safe mode...McAfee didn't work again, still couldn't logon to sites. This is when I reinstalled a clean system.
Today, the system I had let this lady use back in March for her first repair is doing the same thing. Not sure what it is and if it came from a daily process she does from the web sites. We have over 30 systems and these are the only two with issues.
They are both Windows XP I believe 32bit and Service pack 3. I have not yet started on the second system, hoping to have some guidance toward something.
Thanks if anyone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nett0

Nett0

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

With bsod's... I always run a SMART test on the hard drive. Since she is using XP I'm guessing it is an older machine.
From being a systems admin, my experience has led me to say that the most common issue with older systems is hard drive failure.

Run a SMART test first, HDTune is a good tool to use.
If there are any flags being thrown, then the hard drive is going bad.

If not, we can look into what else could be causing the issue.

#3 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

I did not come up with any problems running SMART.
Still my issue lies with second system that this employee used while I was wiping out the other. It will not load system restore, will not let me logon to any secure sites, as well as will not let McAfee connect to look for updates. Same as the other system.

#4 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Leaning toward a virus. Windows update also doesn't work. I scanned with Malwarebytes and Spybot and neither picked up anything.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Can you explain?

Does this happen after clean install?

#6 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I am trying to avoid doing another Clean install. This is the second computer this single user has used and same problem.

When I say another clean install this means this is the second computer system I will have to clean install. Sorry

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

what are issues you have after clean install?

#8 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

No issue after a clean install(at least not yet this time). But, this is the second system with the same problem...we have around 50 computer and would like to figure out what is causing the problem to keep from doing clean installs in case this occurs again.

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Next time if you face these issues make sure to uninstall Mcafee and see if that helps.Mcafee may be the cause.

#10 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

The first system I did uninstall and reinstalled McAfee. I will uninstall it now off the system I am currently working. Currently I have gotten FixIt to get my updates to run.

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Regarding windows updates,i have seen several systems with update error even after a clean install.

Upgrade to IE 8 and install windows update agent

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

This should take care of update issue.

#12 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Great thanks, we are on IE 8. Running updates as we speak.

#13 Carmon

Carmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Ran FixIt for Updates. This seemed to let my updates to load. Ran the updates noticed my System Restore was able to load again. Uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled which now works. Seemed to have solved my problems. Thanks for your help.

One more thing, if I have auto updates running is it McAfee that would be causing an issue with updates not running?

Edited by Carmon, 30 October 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

You're welcome :)

Antivirus can block autoupdates from downloading.Mcafee may be the cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users