Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 natesac

natesac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I have two laptops running on XP home ed. Both are wireless enabled and both are able to connect to the wireless internet in my home. I was looking for an easy way to transfer files from one to the other wirelessly. From what I understand this is called a computer to computer network. I have tried The "Setup a wireless network for a home or small office" I have a flash drive but my router does not have a usb port. I apologise if this question has been answered before, If in my searching I missed the thread pleace direct me to it. Im just looking to create a temporary connection to share files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:14 AM

If you set both computers for ad-hoc connection they should be able to see each other without having to go theough the router they use thier internal wireless cards to see eachother you will see the other computer listed in the wireless tab as an availble network jsut connect to that ad-hoc.Youmight have to turn on file sharing on both the properties of the wireless network card.
Alternatively you could buy a ethernet wire cat 5e this is called a crossover cable and if you plug them on the ehtrnet port on both the computers and have file sharing turned on on the ehtrnet properties window you will be able to transfer the file easily and fast
there is also something called file transfere wizard in Xp that can help you with this problem. Go to start=>programes=> accessories=>system tools and file trnsfr wizard should be there

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

If both your laptops can connect to the internet through your router then they are already networked, you should not need to run another networking wizard or set up an ad-hoc connection. What you do need is for both the laptops to be in the same workgroup - see this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43840/how-to-check-your-workgroup-in-windows-xp/

You also need 'File and Printer sharing' enabled on both laptops. In the 'Network Connections' window you will see a list of the networks your computer is connected to, arranged in groups. Under the 'LAN or High-Speed Internet' group will be your 'Local Area Connection'. Right click on the 'Local Area Connection' icon and click on 'Properties' to open the 'Local Area Connection Properties' window. Under the 'General' tab there is a box which lists the clients, services and protocols used in this connection. There should be a tick in the box for 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks'. If it is not ticked then click on the box to put a tickmark there.

Once the file and printer sharing service is active on your network users, in your workgroup, will be able to access shared files and folders through the icons appearing in the 'My Network Places' window.

To share files or folders navigate to the file/folder using 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' and right click it. Click on 'Sharing and Security' and in the new window which opens tick the 'Share this folder on the Network' box. You can also input a share name for the folder here. After the share is applied an icon for this folder will appear in the 'My Network Places' window on the other laptop.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users