Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Virus, Just Slow PC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

I built my own pc with the help of a friend who is a complete geek. Unfortunately, his assistance is no longer available.

My father's pc is the exact same setup with less RAM and his runs faster than mine. He has cable internet, I have DSL.

It is a Gigabyte motherboard M68MT-S2;
3.2GHz AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor;
2 - Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 for 4GB RAM;
Windows 7;
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s;
Okia 550W power supply.

The motherboard had to be returned for repairs once for a problem with the RAM slot. If a second stick of RAM was inserted, the pc would not boot. In addition, the graphics part of the motherboard fails from time to time, but until I can find a compatible graphics card, I suffer through it. The hard drive is LOUD. I can hear every tick and whir it makes, but Seagate will not honor a warranty because it is a refurbished hard drive purchased from newegg.com. There is an external Seagate FreeAgent hard drive as a back up. There is no DVD/CD drive, yet.

What can I check for errors or do to speed up the pc?

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

There are many reasons why Windows may slow...not all of them relate to hardware.

That said...since you mention the hard drive, the prudent thing to do is to try to determine it's functional status. To do so, a CD/DVD drive would be a plus...but you can run the SeagTools for Windows utility as an alternative, following Seagate instructions.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/downloads/seatools/docs/SeaTools%20for%20Windows.en-US.pdf

Download utility at http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ .

FWIW: Seagate has no responsibility for any refurbished hard drive, the terms of sale when purchasing such drives clearly state that in most, if not all, cases where I have looked at refurb drives.

Please run the extended/long test if both a short and long are offered.

<<How can I speed up my pc?>>

Take a read at Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I did do the Seagate thing. The only drive it will recognize is the external hard drive. If I remove the external hard drive, Seagate utilities finds nothing.

Maybe I should just purchase a new hard drive.

Any more suggestions? I appreciate the quick response.

Cas

p.s. The terms were that it had 30 days through newegg.com and then 3-year through Seagate. I read it and read it again, after Seagate refused. Newegg won't do anything, either. According to Seagate it is an oem, therefore I have to contact the computer manufacturer. As I built the pc, I am the manufacturer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Not to be contentious...but I just checked a couple more refurb drives sold by Newegg...all have limited (90-day warranties) and reflect the option purchase "extended" warranties for a price.

New hard drive typically have a 3-year warranty these days.

If you go through the other link that I previously provided...there are some things that you can check/do.

<<I did do the Seagate thing. The only drive it will recognize is the external hard drive.>>

If you have Windows on a Seagate hard drive...that the Seagate HD diagnostic doesn't recongize...I'd say that's grounds for looking for a new hard drive right away.

Louis

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

That came about after I challenged newegg. I complained about the noise of the hard drive at about the thirty-day mark and it took long enough for a response that it was past thirty days. That was the old warranty when I purchased the drive. Now, I print everything to one-note so I have proof. I bought a seagate because of its reputation. My Dell Dimension 8300 came with one in 2003 and is still working perfect today. (I wanted a faster pc and bigger hard drive.)

I am still arguing with newegg, but I will not do business with it. I want a new hard drive to replace this one, but... I really do not trust any online site now. Compgeeks never has what I want; eBay refused to provide buyer protection even though I never received one purchase and another was returned and the seller refused to send a refund; newegg and its policies. Although, compgeeks used to provide technical support and information that was extremely helpful to me, but that was five years ago.

I am following each step in each link. I have uninstalled two add-ons in Firefox that I know I don't use. The hard drive does not have that much on it. All photos and music are on the external.

I truly think it is the motherboard, but I wanted some help troubleshooting.

Thanks!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi,
You said

My father's pc is the exact same setup with less RAM and his runs faster than mine. He has cable internet, I have DSL.

When you say speed do You mean speed on the Internet or speed opening applications or speed encoding video.

If you mean Internet Speed. I would bet his Cable Internet is faster than you DSL Internet.
If you mean Internet speed test each computer @ http://www.speedtest.net/
For example this is mine at work on Cable Internet, I get better at home of course. It is my guess from having had DSL in the past that it could be a lot slower. Do the speedtest and let us know.

Posted Image

If it is a different speed you refer to please also let us know. If so Bring up taskmanager and See what the CPU and Memory usage show at the bottom. With nothing busy it should show a very low CPU usage zero to one percent usually.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Motherboards...IMO...are near impossible to troubleshoot, other than by a process of eliminating all other possibilities, visual examination, and just plain trying a different board.

I'd suspect everything other component...before I'd even begin to think about a defective motherboard...but I'm not a tech and I just try to do common-sense troubleshooting when problems arise.

FWIW: Newegg is not the only reliable source of computer components online. Amazon and Tiger Direct are two of the others I use for acquiring computer parts.

That said...I yield to Roger's assistance :).

Louis

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm throwing something else into the mix. What security-firewall and antivirus-are you using on the system?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks QE, Louis
One other thing are you sure the CPU is running cool, a overheating CPU will slow down to protect itself before it gets hot enough to start shutting down the computer.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hamluis, I re-read your first response and noticed about heat. I have the side off the pc because I noticed the hard drive's temperature when I needed to copy the model and serial numbers. You are right, it is HOT! Hot as in nearly too hot to touch. I will be buying a new hard drive to replace this one.

How do I make an exact copy of this hard drive so I do not have to re-install everything on it? (I have over 40 Big Fish Games games.)

Thanks.

Cas

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Before rushing to do anything...let's try to find out what the source of the heat might be. A hard drive in continuous use may get hot/warm...but let's look at the temperatures.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have to agree with Louis. I have seen very hot hard drives that still ran fine. They can take a beating.

When we talk about running hot as regards slow downs of the computer we are usually referring to the CPU (Processor). When they start running hot they slow down to prevent damage to the CPU. If that isn't enough they shut down the computer. Have you looked at the Heatsink on the CPU? And if there is a fan on the Video card or a chipset fan are they running and the heatsinks clean?

You never indicated is the computer slow doing everything or only on the Internet?

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 October 2012 - 06:54 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#13 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Edited by Cassiopeia, 30 October 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#14 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Where is my response? I took so much time to ensure I wrote out everything and all that is here is a period?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

This post has been edited by Cassiopeia: 30 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

That's all that I see...looks like you deleted whatever you intended to post, intentionally or unintentionally.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users