Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Install on new HDD - "Completing Installation" forever.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Treadstone87

Treadstone87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hey, all. First time posting here. I've been checking out BleepingComputer for a long while and I've often solved my problems just by searching for answers given to other folks here. However, I've had no such luck this time.

Yesterday I bought a new hard drive. I went from a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB to a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB. So, same family of HDDs. I put in a burned Windows 7 install disc, and the process went okay until after the computer restarted and moved on to 'Completing Installation'. It just sits there. It doesn't freeze - I can move the mouse and there are three little dots after 'Completing Installation' that continue animating. I can also click the red X at the top-right but it says installation cannot be canceled at that point, which makes sense.

I first let it sit on 'Completing Installation' for two hours. Then I turned my computer off, unplugged everything except for my mouse and keyboard, formatted the drive to get rid of any bad data, and tried again. After three hours of 'Completing Installation', I removed my video card, all but one stick of RAM, and entered the BIOS to see if there were any options relating to my hard drive. The only options I found were the options to choose a hard drive - I only have the one - and a couple of Plug and Play options. I restarted setup again, formatted again, and started the process over. Then I went to bed.

This morning, seven hours later, it was still sitting at 'Completing Installation'. I tried taking the install disc out to see if the install would stop or throw up an error, but it didn't make a peep. I took the install disc to my other computer to copy the data to a folder on the desktop, to see if there was an error. Everything copied fine. Plus, when I burned the DVD, I burned it at the lowest possible speed and had the program verify it. Everything came up fine.

One thing I'll mention - when I start setup, I'm given an option to install a driver. I decided to choose that option just to see if it might provide any clarity. It then showed me the contents of my hard drive. Program Files was in there, My Documents was in there. So setup is doing something, it's just not finishing for some reason.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

What do you mean a "burned Windows 7 Installation Disc"?

#3 Treadstone87

Treadstone87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

What do you mean a "burned Windows 7 Installation Disc"?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

I lost the original Windows 7 install disc that came with the computer so I downloaded a disc image of Windows 7 direct from Microsoft and burned it to a DVD using a DVD-R drive, as this article explains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users