Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

extras

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

Okay I had Microsoft scan my Asus laptop to upgrade to W8 and one thing that came up was that I need to pay extra on top of the upgrade cost to download a new Media Centre. I can't find what the media centre download would cost? Any ideas thanks.

Also I have Office 2010 is that compatiable or do I need to purchace an upgrade there as well?

I run Windows 7 premium 64 bit.

Thanks for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

I wasn't aware that the new media center is required. I knew they were charging for it, but there are plenty of freeware alternatives that can get the job done just as well.

Office 2010 is compatible with Windows 8. Generally, although not in all situations, programs that were Windows 7 compatible should be Windows 8 compatible.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for your reply. Yes you pay for the media player if you download the RT version of W8 but I think it could be included in the Pro version.

I am tossing the coin to or not to give W8 ago and if Media Player is included the upgrade price to Pro I think it would be a good deal.

Again I thank you for your time.... :thumbup2:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Are you looking to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro? At a price of 39.99 I definitely suggest it. If so, then you can get the media center free till Jan 13:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Are you looking to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro? At a price of 39.99 I definitely suggest it. If so, then you can get the Media Center pack for free till Jan 13:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Thanks for that I have been reading many possitives about W8 today so I just might give it a go. I have my fingers crossed...Thanks.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

one thread says media center ,one says media player ,I don't use media center and haven't even looked for it ,but can tell poster Center ,that win8pro has media player 12.0 installed

never used media center before so won't be buying it now .prices shown in this tomshardware.com link

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Media-Center-Windows-8-Windows-8-Pro-Pro-Pack-DVD-Playback,18736.html

Edited by caperjac, 27 October 2012 - 07:47 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I was confused about this too. Media PLayer is standard in Win 8 and can play dvds as far as I can tell. Some reports say that it cannot play DVDs but it worked fine for me.

Media Center is an addon for Pro only. Pro upgrade is 69.99 now it seems and then you get the free media center.

If you are running Windows 8 Pro already then you can get the free media center till Jan 13

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

cant get it to play dvd movie ,had to install VLC player to get it to play dvd ,and auto play doesn't give WMP as an option.

I just applied for the product key for the free Media center update,thanks for the info on the free upgrade .im using a sff dell optiples 745 ,I think this all just game me an idea ,I think ill hook it my 42 inch tv and use the wireless Kboard & mouse to make it a media center

Edited by caperjac, 28 October 2012 - 06:43 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Its weird. I put in one of my boys dvds and it played it fine. I honestly have no idea whats going on with this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users